How flakes differ from scrapers.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I thought this would be a nice topic to discuss. Many confuse flakes with scrapers, visa versa. Let's hear some knowledge on how to distinguish one from the other. Some larger flakes look like scrapers and some crude scrapers look like flakes. Here is a crude made scraper..., I think!

image-3832111056.jpg

Here, a nicer one!

image-3614005295.jpg

I'll post a flake in a few!

Upvote 0

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flakes to me are smaller pieces of waste material that show no worked edges . Most scrapers are easy to identify you can easily see how the piece was worked . Here's a few from the Great Basin one with graver spurs . Great Basin Scrapers - Gravers 008.JPG Great Basin Scrapers - Gravers 009.JPG Great Basin Scrapers - Gravers 010.JPG Great Basin Scrapers - Gravers 011.JPG IMG_4839.JPG IMG_4840.JPG IMG_4841.JPG IMG_4842.JPG

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is that "some" flakes were used as a quick tool for cutting,notching and so forth.A flake could possibly be the sharpest tool you can have. Expedient and expendable. A scraper will have secondary flaking for longer use. That is my guess.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I thought this would be a nice topic to discuss. Many confuse flakes with scrapers, visa versa. Let's hear some knowledge on how to distinguish one from the other. Some larger flakes look like scrapers and some crude scrapers look like flakes. Here is a crude made scraper..., I think!

View attachment 1067291

Here, a nicer one!

View attachment 1067292

I'll post a flake in a few!

Umm, all your scrapers are made on a flake.

I've got highly detailed thumb scrapers that are less than half an inch long, and even less wide. I have some that are three inches long as well. I have many many flakes with a scraper evident on at least one side. They are all made on a flake. Not sure what your point really is ol friend. Just about every point, knife, hoe, and scraper is made on a flake.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I think both of your scrapers are nice, big too. One material looks like it shows flaking better than the other, for sure.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I think both of your scrapers are nice, big too. One material looks like it shows flaking better than the other, for sure.
Thanks Quito. My thread title was a little misworded. What I really wanted this thread to do was show the difference in flake tools and waste flakes or debitage. I'm sure you've seen quarry sites. The ground is littered with flakes of all sizes and shapes. The difference between scrapers and this, for example.

image-4138768205.jpg

image-4132912532.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do from time to time include a big flake into my frames where I find artifacts. I consider them to be overshot types. Not all show secondary flaking but still interesting to me. Here is one in my last hunt in this frame on the left side. I guess it would be considered debitage to most but to me it is still a artifact. It adds color. Some of the flakes that are debitage have some nice colors in them.

Attachments

• SDC11531.JPG
    SDC11531.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread