yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... after a crazy freaking move (back) to Virginia (it's always more complicated than you plan for, eh?), I got lucky! Not only did I find an old dump just behind my new home but also had the crazy good luck of working at a little farm school where they were clearing a back acre or so for future planting. Understand, this is a rock farm. Really. The first wonderful thing I did there was to twist the living hecky-darn out of my ankle. Brave me, I sucked it up and checked out this back field which was at the time dry as a bone. We hadn't had rain for ages, so where they'd cleared was really just the worst sort of situation. But I was determined. Long story short, I got lucky. And then it rained. And I got luckier. And then it rain again... and I got luckiest. So for all the quartz-lovers, here's my first month's worth plus a piece that's crystal clear- broken, of course. Most was, but not all. Big machinery does bad things- and everything is out of context and just surface, but hey. And the last is a quartzite-- best yet- and about 2 inches. I'm thinking in general it's all roughly archaic. Thoughts?

Temporary digs while I waited for home

023.jpg

clockwise from 12 noon: broken spear point, broken (bifurcated?), knife w/ tip missing, a whole one!. a middle section of a dart, and a teardrop dart. Close up of the first 2 I found ;)

039.jpg 035.jpg

094.jpg 095.jpg 096.jpg

103.jpg 102.jpg

I should add, these are the very fist points I've EVER found in a field. The creeks here are all flood prone, and I'm guessing all the artifacts have washed down to Richmond...
Thanks for looking- and Happy Hunting! Yakker
p.s. I'm teaching my students about archaeology and how to identify points- and most of them have found stuff- some whole, some not! I'm so proud ;D

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Looks like a small Lecroy and a couple big sandy points. I think the nice complete point is a big sandy. Supposedly, those are early archaic.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright yackker!
Sounds like you landed in a real good spot to call home.
One of my best friends is stationed in Virginia I might be headed up that way before long.
It's awesome to see they had crystal quartz where you are hunting you will probably find more of it for sure

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if I didn't like quartz I'd be in bad shape here in S.C. You got some nice ones there. Sounds like you'll be picking up some more soon. Thanks for the look

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas! It's nice to be back in the game- even if the 'field' has changed a bit ;) I'll keep you posted (as well as the folks over at the relics board, I'm thinking :icon_thumright:) Gator- if you head up, give me a shout. Not on the shore- but centrally located in Charlottesville. Tony- that last one (Big Sandy), was just found this morning while out w/ my young troops! One of my youngest found another worked piece of that crystal quartz-so I know there's more out there--And thanks NC Field Hunter. Not yet used to the names associated w/ points down here-- I've got some homework to do! Yak

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you posting again! Hope you find a lot of available fields to hunt!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Yak, Glad to see you are getting settled in, and have hit the ground running (or should I say methodically walking with head down. lol) with the pre-historic artifacts. It looks like you are onto a nice early site with the bifurcates and notched points. I think both of your quartzite pieces are probably early archaic, and would suspect them both to have ground bases. The one with the tip missing looks to be a Palmer, or maybe Kirk notched to me, and the pinkish serrated one is a real beauty, Big Sandy or Otter Creek style perhaps. The quartz points with the wide shallow side notches/expanding bases appear to be Halifax type points. Looks like you have a some attractive and interesting lithics in your new location. HH and can't wait to see what you find next.

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Red. Getting chilly these days- and too many leaves everywhere- which would make river hunting soooo difficult, but the field remains, and I remain tenacious. ;) I'll keep y'all up w/ anything I or my kids find out there- Yak

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, good to see your finding artifacts already. You usually don't have to look to long to find a bit of history here in VA. Thanks for the view.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread