3 oz Silver William Penn Gorget with Mammoth?

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3 troy oz (92.1 g) silver pendent/gorget with what appears to be William Penn on the front and an elephant on the reverse side. Their are also many other little symbols carved into the sides, top and bottom. The symbols look similar to those that were found on the Lenape Stone found in Bucks County, PA. The piece stands straight up when placed on a counter-top, resembling almost a tombstone? The artifact measures 1.5" tall, 1.0" width and 0.5" thick (when added together equal 3, significant?) I tested the piece and it is 80-90% pure silver (Ag). On the bottom of the piece I can almost make out the numbers 43? Can someone please help me Identify this ??? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Will Penn 2.jpg
    Will Penn 2.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 433
  • Will Penn.jpg
    Will Penn.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rough outline

Here is a rough outline. Stars can be seem around the top hole

Attachments

• Will Penn 2 outline.jpg
    Will Penn 2 outline.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 159

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's Wm. Penn. I'm guessing the image must be something that just "clicks" and there it is, but maybe someone can use a program to outline the image?

Here is a rough outline of the "image" that I believe the OP is referencing. Not saying that I have an opinion yet on whether it is supposed to be a bust of Wm. Penn, or any other human being for that matter, just saying that I believe I can easily see what the OP sees in this item. It does though look to me to be eerily reminiscent of any number of bust profiles as seen on coinage and decorations from the Colonial period. It looks to be made of lead to me as well, and I am curious to see the other sides, and "images", the OP has referenced. I think it is an interesting find, and would like to help the OP with opinions on it's true identity if possible, which is why I would like to see photos of the other sides. At this point I suspect it is one of three things, listed below from most likely to least likely.
1) An unintentional paredolia on a piece of lead.
2) An intentional image molded into the lead for an unknown reason. Melting lead for a variety of domestic and commercial uses was common practice, and pouring molten lead onto a raised or recessed form to produce an image could be easily done by anyone who had a particular purpose in mind, or just for playing around.
3) An intentional image of a certain person formed into the lead, and intended as a hanging ornament, tribute, effigy, etc.
Will Penn 2 outlined.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to look that hard at something to see another pic it isn't there. Welcome to the site but there is nothing there to see.......no picture imo. But do you think it might be some type of stamping implement?

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, ask for an outline, and get three at once. LOL

Ask and you will receive! Thanks, I had in fact finally concluded it had to be that profile outline if it was there at all.....
Had a tough time finding any profile images of Penn. Only on medallions and medals, most are frontal views. Here's a medal from 1916. In the case of the object in question, it could be face paredolia, or maybe it's a common object and is intended as a profile.

But, please photograph the other side. I would like to see what the "mammoth" looks like at least.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where your from or type of site you found it at.But I hunt native American,contact period,& early colonial all around the water ways here in the Carolinas.The piece you show looks very similar to what I call early net weights.And have found them on contact period sites here the 2 towards the back of my hand show a couple.The others in my hand I'd call weights as well think more hook & line type fishing but could be used as a pendant guess & may have.The one in the plastic I'm sure was a pendant who wore can't say for sure but here these pieces came from sites that involved colonials as well as native americans & would date early early in colonial U.S. as I've found things from the colonials that date 1500's & even more from the 1600's.But saying all that I see no face that was ment to be.And depending on were you found it would conclued your piece to be a net weight myself.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• DSCN1999.JPG
    DSCN1999.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 165

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
Maybe you could fill it with wax. When cooled pull the wax out to see what the impression looks like. That would show more detail than anything else.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well regardless, it is a something....what could it be besides a fishing weight?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just throwing the possibility out there
I don't want to forget the fact that the gentleman said he was a chemist and he tested this as silver I don't want to be rude and completely dismiss what he said but judging by the photos alone it doesn't look like silver to me at all.
On the outside chance that it's actually a bust I could see it being 1 half of a mold the hole being where the two halves were tied together.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just throwing the possibility out there
I don't want to forget the fact that the gentleman said he was a chemist and he tested this as silver I don't want to be rude and completely dismiss what he said but judging by the photos alone it doesn't look like silver to me at all.
On the outside chance that it's actually a bust I could see it being 1 half of a mold the hole being where the two halves were tied together.

That seems like a logical assumption a half of a mold.

OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Pictures

More Pictures

Attachments

• will 8.jpg
    will 8.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 150
  • will 7.jpg
    will 7.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 142
  • will 6.jpg
    will 6.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 138
  • will 4.jpg
    will 4.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 134
  • will 3.jpg
    will 3.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 144
  • will 5.jpg
    will 5.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 168

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta say it looks like a piece of lead that's been struck with a waffle headed hammer a couple times to me.
What type of test was done on this thing that showed that it was silver?
I personally used my own acid test to check to see if it ever got a false reading on lead and it did not.. Just squeeze the corner with a pair of pliers see if it is soft

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the pics I have seen, William Penn was a chunk too.....but not of lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread