3 oz Silver William Penn Gorget with Mammoth?

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3 troy oz (92.1 g) silver pendent/gorget with what appears to be William Penn on the front and an elephant on the reverse side. Their are also many other little symbols carved into the sides, top and bottom. The symbols look similar to those that were found on the Lenape Stone found in Bucks County, PA. The piece stands straight up when placed on a counter-top, resembling almost a tombstone? The artifact measures 1.5" tall, 1.0" width and 0.5" thick (when added together equal 3, significant?) I tested the piece and it is 80-90% pure silver (Ag). On the bottom of the piece I can almost make out the numbers 43? Can someone please help me Identify this ??? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Will Penn 2.jpg
    Will Penn 2.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 434
  • Will Penn.jpg
    Will Penn.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 318
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ancient Rome Brothel Pendent

Those are fig leaves around his head! You can clearly see a hooked S on the back side.

An example of A Brothel Pendent (Lead)

Authentic Ancient Coin of:
Roman Lead Token
Lead 28mm (5.11 grams) from circa 100 B.C. - 100 A.D.
B within square.

* Numismatic Note: Very rare, possibly unpublished, or even unique ancient Roman token. Makes you wonder what type of use this token has been used for. It ostensibly could have been used by an ancient brothel house, because brothels have used tokens in ancient times for patrons although not certain.

You are bidding on the exact item pictured, provided with a Certificate of Authenticity and Lifetime Guarantee of Authenticity.

In the study of numismatics, tokens are coin-like objects used instead of coins. The field of tokens is part of exonumia. Tokens are used in place of coins and either have a denomination shown or implied by size, color or shape. "Tokens" are often made of cheaper metals: copper, pewter, aluminium, brass and tin were commonly used, while bakelite, leather, porcelain, and other less durable materials are also known.

The key point of difference between a token and a coin is that a coin is issued by a governmental local or national authority and is freely exchangeable for goods or other coins, whereas a token has a much more limited use and is often (but not always) issued by a private company, group, association or individual.

In the case of "currency tokens" issued by a company but also recognized by the State there is a convergence between tokens and currency.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did an acid test and it came back 80-90% silver. Then I dropped it into a test tube of water to find out its volume then I weighed it to ultimately find it's density which was equivalent to that of silver.

Again it is a Perfect 1.5"Tall 1.0"Wide 0.5"thick=3.0 (Tesla Number)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did an acid test and it came back 80-90% silver. Then I dropped it into a test tube of water to find out its volume then I weighed it to ultimately find it's density which was equivalent to that of silver.

Again it is a Perfect 1.5"Tall 1.0"Wide 0.5"thick=3.0 (Tesla Number)

I would use different acid to check your results... the volume is very close to lead and may also have changed some from environmental conditions. (erosion/oxidation)
Why are you talking about it being a lead token now? If you believe it's silver?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whatever it's made of, and whatever it actually is, I would let go of the idea that it has images on either side.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
could you outline the elephant for us?

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
Oh. New idea. Buy a few packages of silly putty. Fill the impression with the silly putty and remove to see the impression. Would be much easier than wax. Would be interested to see what it looks like...

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
It is very interesting. The lead medallions that we have found were almost black. The wear from the necklace is also familiar to see. I wish it had some markings on it!!! Great stuff!

L.C.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing my research. New info coming soon. 🍻 Real Rhubarb Seeds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread