3 oz Silver William Penn Gorget with Mammoth?

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3 troy oz (92.1 g) silver pendent/gorget with what appears to be William Penn on the front and an elephant on the reverse side. Their are also many other little symbols carved into the sides, top and bottom. The symbols look similar to those that were found on the Lenape Stone found in Bucks County, PA. The piece stands straight up when placed on a counter-top, resembling almost a tombstone? The artifact measures 1.5" tall, 1.0" width and 0.5" thick (when added together equal 3, significant?) I tested the piece and it is 80-90% pure silver (Ag). On the bottom of the piece I can almost make out the numbers 43? Can someone please help me Identify this ??? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Will Penn 2.jpg
    Will Penn 2.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 433
  • Will Penn.jpg
    Will Penn.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm reasonably sure its not Native American . And from what your seeing I would stay away from wild mushrooms lol .

OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose you don't see the hole in the top either? Or the impression of a man's profile?

OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Lenape stone is considered a hoax and even though we have found human remains in Florida that date 2000 yrs before the pyramids we still credit Columbus with the discovery of America. But seriously, any idea what I have here?

Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old Silver usually turns black,
Looks like an old lead fishing weight to me.
Where did you find it?
What does the reverse look like?
I can see a face or two in it??

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, you mention an elephant and William Penn, but I am unable to see either. You're also only showing one side. Not sure what people believing in God has to do with this object. At any rate, I just can't see William Penn or an elephant. Maybe it's just me.

OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HCl test came back at 80-90% Silver (Ag). I also ran a density test on the object which resulted in 10.501 grams per cubic centimeter (the density of silver). The density of Lead (Pb) is 11.342 grams per cubic centimeter, so it very close.I will post a picture of the back later today. The cuts in the object are representative of an old Gorget of wrist pendent.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a lot of silver and lead come out of the ground... this looks like a piece of lead.
It's even soft enough to have an impression left from the wire or whatever was tied to it

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also looks like it has the oxidation of lead

IMG_20141021_171819.jpg

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks exactly like the patina old lead gets. Sorry, but I see no faces, and I have a very active imagination, lol.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting artifact you have there. I can plainly see the 'William Penn" you referenced. I too would like to see a photo of the other side and base if you get a chance. Pretty unusual piece whatever it is. Thank you.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting artifact you have there. I can plainly see the 'William Penn" you referenced. I too would like to see a photo of the other side and base if you get a chance. Pretty unusual piece whatever it is. Thank you.

Here's Wm. Penn. I'm guessing the image must be something that just "clicks" and there it is, but maybe someone can use a program to outline the image?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 191

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hope that was Sarcasm, I cant see anything but lead

OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's Wm. Penn. I'm guessing the image must be something that just "clicks" and there it is, but maybe someone can use a program to outline the image?

I think the side profile is William Penn is because I went though every coin/colonial king and president from Canada, Ireland, United States, Greece, France and Britain and no one has this same profile. No one has a narrow nose that is kinda stuck up along with a fat neck. I will take more pictures when I get home tonight. I found the item in Lenape Indian territory, more importantly an area where William Penn had great influence and popularity.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean this in all kindness but you couldn't find a match because the "profile" you're seeing is only in your imagination kind of like seeing shapes in clouds.
It's actually human nature to do that kind of thing our brains are wired to do it actually

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread