Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found these artifacts in New England. The one on the rubber band is made out of bone, and the other one is made out of stone. What is the age on these. 20141024_130903.jpg 20141024_130925.jpg 20141024_132651.jpg 20141024_130956.jpg 20141024_131033.jpg 20141024_131416.jpg
Thanks,

Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think if you found those in a group setting. Bead artifacts...

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
i think if you found those in a group setting. Bead artifacts...

No, they were not in a group setting, the bone one was 45 miles away from the stone one.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the tube looking one looks like a piece of a pipe stem...I have a couple of those that were re purposed into beads.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Really hard to tell without holding them in your hand, but to hazard a guess, I was also thinking that the one with the smaller hole looked to be part of a European pipe stem. The one with the larger hole looks to me to be possibly dense ceramic rather than stone, the type of ceramic sometimes used in electric insulators??

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Really hard to tell without holding them in your hand, but to hazard a guess, I was also thinking that the one with the smaller hole looked to be part of a European pipe stem. The one with the larger hole looks to me to be possibly dense ceramic rather than stone, the type of ceramic sometimes used in electric insulators??

When would a European pipe stem be from, also the one you say is a European pipe stem is made out of bone, I tested to see if it would stick to my tongue, and it passed, also it feels like old bone, but then again old clay sitting in the elements would maybe pass the "tongue test", it would probably feel like bone too. Also, the one with the small hole is very light weight.
I think you are right on the big one being a wire insulator.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
When would a European pipe stem be from, also the one you say is a European pipe stem is made out of bone, I tested to see if it would stick to my tongue, and it passed, also it feels like old bone, but then again old clay sitting in the elements would maybe pass the "tongue test", it would probably feel like bone too. Also, the one with the small hole is very light weight.
I think you are right on the big one being a wire insulator.

yeah, for years I had one of those and swore up and down that it was bone...or antler...but it is ceramic pipe stem and it even ages to look like bone or antler.

bone doesn't look so solid in the middle.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand why it could be looked at as a possible kaolin clay pipe stem but I don't think that it is I think its just natural.
The other looks like some scrap of ceramic but nothing that was made into a bead I think its just a hollow part of what used to be a molded piece of ceramic.
I've seen loads of those stems.. Maybe but I don't think so

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
the offset of the hole and its tiny size, the half moon sort of profile not to mention the color and circumference ...it all screams pipe stem to me

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way the material weathered is what I'm making my judgement call on

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread