Driftless Area Wisconsin stone tools or just... stones?

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20141026_180559_790.jpg

Hi all, this is my first post, and I'm a hobbyist, so please don't ridicule me if these are just rocks (and a deer scapula). I found these in Bear Valley, which was a native settlement until the settlers moved in around the mid to late 1800's. I have a history book for the area that accounts the native inhabitants, and many artifacts are found in the area. We have effigy mounds, many of which have been destroyed by farming, but some still exist. My 5-year-old daughter and I regularly explore the area, landowners are often kind enough to show us around or give permission to go exploring. There is also a 600+ acre plot that is public that we regularly explore. I'm including a photo of where these were found. Most of them were either sticking out of the gound, partially exposed or sitting on top of the gound, where cattle hooves erode the land. Being so near the surface makes me think they're just rocks, but where these were found, there were many other rocks, but none were the same type. From my amateur perspective, they appear to be shaped, not naturally occuring. Especially the triangular one which appears to be sharpened at one end, and chipped as if it were used as a hoe or scraper. You can also notice a curvature on the bottom side, it is not flat.

IMG_20141026_205320_430.jpg

IMG_20141026_181029_484.jpg

IMG_20141026_205415_801.jpg

This one appears to be some kind of scraping tool maybe?

IMG_20141026_205059_719.jpg

IMG_20141026_181118_816.jpg

And this one had a rounded shaped end, maybe a grain or nut grinder?

IMG_20141026_205133_706.jpg

IMG_20141026_181018_613.jpg

This rock was found under a fallen tree, kind of under the roots. Had it not been fallen, I never would have seen it. The neat part was the broken side that sticks out was white and caught my eye. It is some kind of quartz I think (not a geologist), but when I examined it, it had a drill hole in it, which I zoomed in to show the "threading" marks. Don't know if it could have been a firestarter hole? Doubt quartz or whatever this is would be a preferred rock, could be from a settlement barn that was torn down and dumped here at some point.

IMG_20141026_180708_558.jpg

IMG_20141026_180950_533.jpg

IMG_20141026_180735_098.jpg

And finally, what looks like a deer scapula. I found this on top soil, so I have my doubts that it was a Native American hoe, but when researching it, it has the same broken spot as many other hoe artifacts I've found online. It's texture is very woody, not at all like bone, which in my ameteur mind says very old. It also shows a lot of wear on the edge that would contact the earth, if in fact it was used as a hoe.

IMG_20141026_181200_108.jpg

Here is a photo of "Chimney Rock", on top of the hill where we found these stones.

IMG_20141026_152949_060.jpg

That is my young'n Lilly. Thanks for all opinions, but if indeed these are just rocks and bone, "just rocks and bone" will do, no snide comments necessary (searched this forum for a long time researching before posting, and see a lot of that from the more experienced folks.) Thanks again!

-Andy-

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site but they look natural to me. Thanks, rock

OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much for the input! I should also mention that the gentleman that owns the property had a pile of rocks outside his front door in a "rock garden" which I was glancing through while waiting for him to come to the door. One was a definite "war hammer". (egg shaped stone, with a ring carved around in the center for fastening to a handle). I'll also point out that his "war hammer" was of a very different geological stone. More of a greyish color. Also visited a neighbor across the valley that had a hand axe, and was yet a different stone, more like a solid flint-like material, with a very sharp point chiseled to make the axe part. He also had a pointed chisel-looking stone, that was obviously man-made, of a material similar to the grey "war hammer" of the other man. A lot more definitive than mine, and was obvious what it was. It came to a sharp point at the end, not axe-like but a point. He claimed they were both found in the Bear Valley area. My "finds" are of sandstone, and very worn-looking, as one would expect of any sandstone. (maybe limestone, don't know the difference). Thanks again!

What would you make of the drill hole in the quartz-like rock? It is definitely not natural, as it's a perfect drill hole. Not saying it is of native origin, but what could it be?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drill hole could be manmade but modern you can see where it looks to have threads in it like a screw was there. Believe it or not when you first start hunting every odd shaped rock will look suspect. Always bring it home if it isn't nothing then you can build a rock garden. There are plenty of old post for looking for artifacts. All of them are good reads and might help you in your search for artifacts. Always check your states rules first. Good Luck, rock

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting finds! The "Quartz"-like rock resembles both Limestone and Dolomite. I think it might be a variety of dense Quartzite though. -Luke

Last edited:
OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Luke! After much more comparative research, you are all most certainly right that these are just rocks. They would be too soft of a material to be useful for any tools. And it stands to reason one would be using these type of tools somewhere other than a VERY steep hill, which is where they were found. I'm learning so much from this forum!!! Thanks again!

Dropthephone

Jan 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hochunkara
Nice examples. (real nice)
Item 1: (it is an artifact) Would have to inspect to determine type
Item 2: Hatchet
Item 3: (it is an artifact) Would have to inspect to determine type

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every tool is an artifact, every artifact is not a tool. If you find a lot of strange rocks in one area maybe people in the past liked them also and brought them there for some reason. You will likely never get a definitive answer. I’d keep poking around there.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Most look like casually used camp tools. What look like thread marks in the hole are normal for native drilling with wood or cane with sand.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also think natural not artifacts as far as the drilled hole it’s interesting wonder if it could be from a fossil

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is over 5 years old.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed that, still be having the same argument in another five most likely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions