Do you think thesr could be flint nappings or just more... rocks?

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think these could be flint knappings or just more... rocks?

Second thread, really getting the hang of it now! Picked these out of an eroding sand quarry, where I heard from a lifetime local they stopped digging due to finding artifacts. Could these be flint knappings from making arrowheads?

IMG_20141027_232056_618.jpg

IMG_20141027_232546_563.jpg

And this little fella's probably just a rock, but I recall seeing pictures on my google travels of little firestarters being used? I think it's a black rough stone, but has sand embedded in all the crevices, giving it a tannish color.

IMG_20141027_232625_236.jpg

Thanks again for any and all input!

-Andy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're definitely on the right track in fact you've picked up a complete artifact there that's the base to quite an old projectile point on the bottom.
At some point it broke or had been sharpened down to the point its use became as a hafted scraper.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece on the top has also been worked looks like it was part of a larger tool.
You should be able to get pretty close to an ID from just that base section.. Of the type of projectile point It started out as

ForumRunner_20141028_064801.png

OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're definitely on the right track in fact you've picked up a complete artifact there that's the base to quite an old projectile point on the bottom.
At some point it broke or had been sharpened down to the point its use became as a hafted scraper.

Yeah, I separated those two and took individual pictures because they looked more whole than the rest. I think that pic makes them look bigger than they are. I zoomed in to show some detail. In the first picture with the whole lot I found, Those pieces are the in the top right. They're only about an inch wide. Does that make any difference to what you thought they would have been? I'm a little confused on which ones you are referring to. Which one would be the hafted scraper? And the projectile point is the lighter colored one in the photo with only two pieces? It appeared to me like it maybe was going to be an arrowhead, but discarded or just never finished. Maybe made an error, and discarded it? I want to get a few more photos of the ones you think might be artifacts for a second look and in different light/angles. Having a really hard time getting any "accurate" photos. Soon as I take it, the photo often skews what it actually looks like.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to make this as easy as I can.
For now let's forget about what type how old and all that stuff I can see certain things on one of them that lead me to believe it is quite old but let's just stay basic.
The piece I have circled in red more than likely started its life as a projectile point much like the one I've posted here.
At some point it was repurposed as a tool for scraping attached to a handle.
The one I have circled in yellow is a broken piece of something could possibly be a stem to another projectile point or blade But there's no way to know for sure.

ForumRunner_20141029_202250.png

Gilchristsa.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a small one I found just a week ago or so.

Attachments

• SDC11519.JPG
    SDC11519.JPG
    610.6 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to make this as easy as I can.
For now let's forget about what type how old and all that stuff I can see certain things on one of them that lead me to believe it is quite old but let's just stay basic.
The piece I have circled in red more than likely started its life as a projectile point much like the one I've posted here.
At some point it was repurposed as a tool for scraping attached to a handle.
The one I have circled in yellow is a broken piece of something could possibly be a stem to another projectile point or blade But there's no way to know for sure.

View attachment 1072761

View attachment 1072763

Thank you for the clarification, sorry to confuse things. I just want to be sure I relay information accurately. Nothing worse than believing and passing the wrong information.

So, now we have that cleared up, whats your take on the age, etc. that you didn't want to confuse me with?

Pardon my excitement, but this is my first find! YAHOOOOOOOOOO!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha.. Congrats man I know your excitement you'll have to let everyone here know what state you're in to get an accurate identification.
Can you tell me if the edges feel smooth on both sides immediately above the protrusions at the base?

Last edited:
OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha.. Congrats man I know your excitement you'll have to let everyone here know what state you're in to get an accurate identification.
Can you tell me if the edges feel smooth on both sides immediately above the protrusions at the base?

One side feels sharper than the other, more squared than soft, per se.

Here's a few closer shots:

FRONT
ForumRunner_20141101_182052.png

RIGHT SIDE (WHILE ON BACK, SORRY)
ForumRunner_20141101_182407.png

LEFT SIDE
ForumRunner_20141101_182418.png

BACK
ForumRunner_20141101_182315.png

ForumRunner_20141101_182755.png

And I'm in southwestern Wisconsin.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May not be what it was thought to be originally. Thanks for the extra pictures. One of those finds that needs to be held in hand to figure out.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeing it is unworked on the other side it could still be a artifact but just used for the 2 spur tips on it as gravers for incising bone and wood. The curve between the 2 tips could also be a shaft scraper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread