Maine black beauty

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this point yesterday near the well known Sebasticook fish weir.Every year Sebasticook lake is drawn down for algae control.The spot I found this is usually about four feet under water most of the year..still grinning....mjm IMG_20141027_191118_843.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like a killer.
Maybe you could take I shot in natural light so we could see the whole thing

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing this on my phone so I'll try for a better shot... IMG_20141027_170024_620.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..killer point! ..Looks mean... What's the length about 3"?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow very nice I bet you are still smiling. Killer find!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beauty, mjm. A Meadowood. I know in southern New England, they were almost always manufactured from unmodified Onondaga chert blades, imported from New York. That looks like Onondaga in the brighter photos. Here's some from New York. That chert is found in western New York and central New York, I think the two varieties are a little different in appearance....

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

They were usually made from these blades:

Meadow Cache Blades

"The blanks were made in the Niagara Peninsula and western New York State where the Onondaga chert outcrops. From there, the cache blades were distributed over much of the Northeast."

And if you really want to dig into the culture behind the point, good paper here, map shows Meadowood sites in Maine:

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/UMICH/umma/Home/Publications/Landing page/insideM48.pdf

Pretty cool find!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its 3 1/2" long.See Rock I can find something rather than gouges.Although I did find one the other day about eight or so inches long but the bit end was broke.Found it at the same lake just opposite ends about fifty feet from the boat landing...Thanks for the info charl....

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where it was found.I think it was quite remarkable that it survived intact in these.types of conditions of no soil to act as a buffer. IMG_20141027_121238_391.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a superb find! :icon_thumleft: I love finding that Chert material, especially the way it flakes.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its 3 1/2" long.See Rock I can find something rather than gouges.Although I did find one the other day about eight or so inches long but the bit end was broke.Found it at the same lake just opposite ends about fifty feet from the boat landing...Thanks for the info charl....

Id still like to find a gouge here. Its truly a great center piece for a frame. How often do you find nice ones like that? It would make my year if I had found it.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to have seen an insitu pic of it laying among those rocks, but that is a great find regardless.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is SUPER nice!! I don't find stuff like that, so can anyone tell what it is and what period? Tony

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is SUPER nice!! I don't find stuff like that, so can anyone tell what it is and what period? Tony

Tony, on page one of this thread I left a full description of the type and culture. The age is Early Woodland, and it's a Meadowood point. Informative links are on page one......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread