Hohokam Bowl and Swastika Symbol

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This Hohokam red on buff bowl was found on private property near Queen Creek, Az. It dates c. 750-950 A.D. I obtained it because it has a version of a right handed swastika painted in the interior. Always been fascinated with that symbol, not because of it's' most regrettable Nazi association, but because it is a far more ancient symbol found throughout the world. The oldest example known is on a European bone implement that is 15,000 years old. Here are a couple of pages describing that distribution. To the Hopi of northern Az., it was a migration symbol, with the center representng the Hopi Mesas.
Partial swastika petroglyphs are said to represent a clan that is showing how far it has traveled on the migrations dictated by the creator; if the swastika is missing an arm, the clan had not completed their prescribed migration pattern. This is according to the Hopi informants that advised Frank Waters for his classic "Book of the Hopi". In one form or another, the swastika is a common design element on southern Az. Hohokam pottery as well. This can also be seen as a form of the Four Directions symbol. Found among other NA tribes as well, not just the SW and Mesoamerica.

http://www.theorionzone.com/swastikas_hopi_gary_david.pdf

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/symbol-swastika-and-its-12000-year-old-history-001312

A recent article:

How the world loved the swastika, until Hitler stole it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591

In Feb., 1940, to protest Hitler's adaptation of this sacred symbol, the Hopi, Navajo, Papago, and Apache tribes all signed an agreement not to use the swastika symbol in their artwork. I doubt that agreement is still in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,679
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 307
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg Red on buff Hohokam vessels, black on white Anasazi(ancestral Puebloan) bowl, and an iconographic Aztec image of a right handed swastika. These vessels are in other collections, not my own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,689
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for posting that- a good education Yak

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a very cool rendition. It's a digital drawing based on an engraved shell cup found at the famous site of Spiro, Ok. It displays another important and very widespread Native American image and mythological figure--the horned and plumed (or feathered)serpent.

File:Chromesun 4 uktenas design.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Excellent short video describing the Hohokam and a dig in the town where the bowl was found, Queen Creek, Az.

http://www.queencreek.org/about-us/town-history/historical-stories/hohokam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Navajo rug:

http://charleysnavajorugs.com/html/navajo-rug-exhibits.htm

"Above and bellow the water bugs are whirling logs or cross spruce logs which give the impression of circular motion by the bent ends. (Whirling spruce logs crossing each other is a sacred symbol used in Navajo religious ceremonies, sandpaintings, and incorporated into weaving at around 1880's.)

Due to the whirling logs being similar to the Nazi Swastika, Navajo weavers have not been using this symbol since the late 1930s."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that western pottery...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Spiro pic, the circle inside the cross represents fire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been doing some research and discovered the flare rim bowl and this smaller jar were both collected by Mina Brooks and her husband decades ago on what is now known as the Sonoquil Ruin or Sonoquil Pueblo, occupied from 700-950 A.D.
The Brooks family came forward in 1980 to alert archaeologists to their finds on their farm in Queen Creek. When a highway was extended in 2013, a three month salvage dig of the site was conducted. Below at the link is the story of that dig and a good overview of Hohokam culture, in a short video.

Queen Creek, AZ : Hohokam

"When farmers began cultivating the desert area near the San Tan Mountains in the early 1900s, they regularly uncovered artifacts from the past - pieces of pottery, stones tools, and more. These were often considered nuisances, and were tossed to the side of the fields or discarded. For a few, like the Brooks family living in Queen Creek, these artifacts represented a time of historic significance; a prehistoric time when an ancient people farmed this desert area. Mina and Robert discovered many stone tools and pieces of broken pottery lying in the fields and along wash banks. They ensured that these were preserved for many to appreciate in the years to come."

This miniature jar is from Sonoquil Pueblo, collected by Mina Brooks. Style designs indicate it was made between 850-950 A.D. These two vessels represent some of the best and tightest provenance I've got from relics "found with the wallet, not the eyes", information that I was able to develop after purchasing them.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

Sing Reseracher

Nov 4, 2014
Iran /Tabriz
Detector(s) used
Many of detectors for example lorenz x3 /x5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much is that price my friend ???????

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How much is that price my friend ???????

Not sure what you're referring to, but there is a catalog number on the bottom of the bowl......

I left it, in case it was Mina Brooks. She donated many fine pottery vessels to museums throughout Az. She passed away in 2013.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw a Mississippian period catlinite pipe found in WVA near the Ohio River that had a swastika scratched into it on each side. I had thought it was done by someone at a later time but was told it was found that way.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew the symbol was known in ancient India, but had no idea it was also Native American! Is it believed it was coincidental to come up with this same design, or is there some kind of ancient cultural exchange that was going on?

Would be interesting to see which is older North American or Asian dated pieces.

Weird!

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw a Mississippian period catlinite pipe found in WVA near the Ohio River that had a swastika scratched into it on each side. I had thought it was done by someone at a later time but was told it was found that way.

Nice! Would love to find that! Yep, it really is found throughout native NA.....

Engraved shell from Entowah Mound, Georgia. It's the last image in this post. The native's arms and legs are arranged as a swastika. Cool example.....

I knew the symbol was known in ancient India, but had no idea it was also Native American! Is it believed it was coincidental to come up with this same design, or is there some kind of ancient cultural exchange that was going on?

Would be interesting to see which is older North American or Asian dated pieces.

Weird!

That's what fascinates me as well. The oldest example is seen in this photo. A piece of mammoth tusk carved as a bird effigy with a meander pattern of connected swastikas. Found at a site in Ukraine and RC dated to 15,000 years. It was found with phallic objects and may have been a fertility symbol. The swastika symbol was even used as an alternate form of the cross by some early Christians. I can't really answer your question regarding independent invention versus diffusion of the symbol, but pondering that very question, plus the widespread ancient usage of the symbol is the reason I always wanted to ponder a prehistoric Native American example in my own collection! Considering the depth of it's apparent antiquity, perhaps it arrived in the Americas with the Paleolithic hunters who settled the Americas. The known distribution map below is taken from the work linked below, as is the Entowah engraved shell.....

This is an older work, but looks very informative nonetheless, with scores of illustrated examples from throughout the world.....

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40812/40812-h/40812-h.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,384
Last edited:

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Great examples Charl.

The swastika is an ancient symbol of the sun, same as the cross. The cross was adopted by christianity during it's inception just after 300 a.d. by Constantine, but was in use by sun worshippers for centuries before the Messiah's birth.

The Messiah was crucified on a "stauros" or a stake, not a "cross."

Last edited:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice jar Charl, the Hopewell here in Ohio were using the swastika symbol as well, ones ive seen published were made from copper.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I was at a stoplight in Panama today and saw of the the indigenous Kuna women wearing their typical leggings with swastikas. Not polite to take their picture, but it was pertinent to this thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

JRedHorse

Feb 1, 2015
from NH relocating to FL summer 2015
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector but will be upgrading when I hit FL.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Hohokam red on buff bowl was found on private property near Queen Creek, Az. It dates c. 750-950 A.D. I obtained it because it has a version of a right handed swastika painted in the interior. Always been fascinated with that symbol, not because of it's' most regrettable Nazi association, but because it is a far more ancient symbol found throughout the world. The oldest example known is on a European bone implement that is 15,000 years old. Here are a couple of pages describing that distribution. To the Hopi of northern Az., it was a migration symbol, with the center representng the Hopi Mesas.
Partial swastika petroglyphs are said to represent a clan that is showing how far it has traveled on the migrations dictated by the creator; if the swastika is missing an arm, the clan had not completed their prescribed migration pattern. This is according to the Hopi informants that advised Frank Waters for his classic "Book of the Hopi". In one form or another, the swastika is a common design element on southern Az. Hohokam pottery as well. This can also be seen as a form of the Four Directions symbol. Found among other NA tribes as well, not just the SW and Mesoamerica.

http://www.theorionzone.com/swastikas_hopi_gary_david.pdf

The symbol of the Swastika and its 12,000-year-old history | Ancient Origins

A recent article:

How the world loved the swastika, until Hitler stole it.

BBC News - How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it

In Feb., 1940, to protest Hitler's adaptation of this sacred symbol, the Hopi, Navajo, Papago, and Apache tribes all signed an agreement not to use the swastika symbol in their artwork. I doubt that agreement is still in place.

We had a name for that symbol before Hitler stole it, we called it a Sun Wheel .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread