Possibly a knife? And how do you determine age of an artifact that isnt a point?

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a knife? And how do you determine age of an artifact that isn't a point?

What's up guys,

Went on a quick hunt after work before the sun went down, not much time to look, but I guess I got lucky:dontknow:
Looks like a knife with a broken, reworked tip. Can anyone explain to me how to get an approximate time period on an artifact that isn't an arrowhead? I'm really curious as to how old this might be, could it go back to late archaic?
Thanks in advance guys.
20141030_201511.jpg 20141030_201452.jpg 20141030_201432.jpg

Upvote 0

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes its a knife..I'm an expert so you can trust me on that.lol

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding that you need a base to know the time period, at least that is what I was told by our local archeologist. Here is a knife/scraper I found that was probably a Savannah River spear point at one time.

100_7504.JPG

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes you can get an idea of age if it is a "known" knife or tool style, with established dates for that artifact type in your area. Pretty vague I know, but truth is most of these artifacts, points included, are generically typed, and dated, and educated estimations and guesses are as good as it gets most times. I don't see anything style or type wise on that particular artifact to help much with dating. It appears to be rhyolite material with basic bifacial percussion thinning. The material looks to have significant patina, so I would not be surprised if it is a mid to late archaic piece. Sometimes the other artifacts found in association can be an aid in dating, but most 'sites' are probably multi component, and are not exclusive enough time wise, to provide reliable clues.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
METAL, I think redbeardrelics hit the nail on the head. But, if you don't mind, I'd like to help you spend your money:laughing7: You're going to find much more then projectile points, and if you don't have it already, this guide from the Massachusetts Archaeological Society is a great investment.
It serves as an excellent resource, with Wm. Fowler's illustrations. He was one of the best artifact illustrators ever, IMHO. Good enough to even tell what the lithic material is in his illustrations. Jeff Boudreau's projectile point guide, also available from MAS, is the best regional point guide, but this spiral bound guide describes everything else you can find surface hunting sites in southern New England.

A Handbook of Indian Artifacts from Southern New England - Massachusetts Archaeological Society / Robbins Museum of Archaeology

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice knife/ scraper find

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the information, you guys always come through. Charl, I've just ordered the book, thank you for the recommendation :thumbsup: I can't wait to get it. I was kind of hoping you could get a rough judgement by the patina, but :dontknow: oh well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread