My Finds Ca. 1965 ~ 1985

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, a preface: My father introduced me to arrowhead-hunting at Ft. Riley, KS, in 1961. We never found a single one, just lots of flint flakes. He told me the old wive's tale about heating flint with fire and dropping cold water on the flint to form the arrowheads (^__^). In 1964~68 I lived at Ft. Bragg, NC. We lived along the Post's southern border near Chicken Road, where I and my friends used to walk its border along a tank trail ... "Arrowhead Hunting."

My first finds were just above the Virginia border when our Scout Troop went arrowhead hunting ca. 1965. Points 1~5 were found there. Points 6~25 were found at Ft. Bragg, along that tank trail. Points 26~28 were found at a reservoir lake about 30 minutes' drive from Fort Campbell, KY in 1982 when I was stationed there with the 101st Airborne Division. A friend told me about the location and said I could walk along the lake and just pick up arrowheads; when the TVA flooded the area, old mounds etc., would wash up ashore -- I didn't believe him, but it was true. The last item, the scraper, was fount at Ft. Irwin, CA (National Training Center) in 1985. Someone I knew took me to a location that was on a bluff overlooking a valley. Right at that location was a "stool" (might have been basalt, it was all over the NTC), and surrounding the stool were chips galore. He said you could just imagine the hunter sitting there working on tools while watching where game would be. Lots of fun in the desert!

I have NOT found a single thing since then. HOWEVER -- I have a pleasant recurring dream about three times a year in which I find beautiful and plentiful arrowheads. They're all perfect; sometimes other artifacts. Then I, in my dream, say "HEY! This is too good to be true, I'm dreaming." Then I wake up. True story.

With that said, here is my "treasure:"
All-Points1_zps3101f19a.jpg

What has always intrigued me is #11 because it looks like sandstone. You definitely can see the beveled base, but all features are eroded.

I just bought Overstreet's Price Guide (13th Ed.) and have tried to ID my haul. If y'all can help me I'd certainly appreciate the help. I'm guessing here.

Virginia:
1-5. Milky quartz

North Carolina:
6. Clarksville (quartz)
9. Guilford-Stemmed (it has an interesting concave area at the reverse base).
10, 21, 22, 23, 24. Badin
11. Alamance. Sandstone or limestone -- it seems awfully degraded and soft
13 & 14.
15. Stallings Island Slate point? Not in the Price Guide, but very similar specimens here:
stall.jpg

I tried to fasten it on a bamboo "spear" when I was 14 ... so there are marks on the reverse.
(16~19 rhyolite?)
18. Lecroy? If not, maybe Ecusta or Edgefield scraper
19. Beaver Lake/Cumberland. Nice ovoid shape. Too bad it is missing the tip and ear, and there appears to be an impact chip on the reverse top. Rhyolite?
20. ?? Knife?
21 and 22. Found on different day/month/year. However, when photographing these today, I noticed that they SEEM to mate. The reverse side, both pieces have very similar ridges at the center where the "break" is. I'll post my hypothesis following this entry.

Tennessee/Kentucky (forgot which side of the border)
26. Big Sandy
27. Dunno, but it has a nice rhomboid shaped cross-section/left-bevelled edges.
28. Ovoid shape

Ft. Irwin, California (Barstow/Mojave Desert area)
29. Scraper

Thank you for your indulgence.

--ghp

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Comments please:

11-Close-Front_zps6686cf21.jpg

11-Close-Back_zps263ef0da.jpg

Hmmm ... it looks a bit foreshortened in these images; it's not so squat.

--ghp

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection, welcome to the site rock.
Looks to be a Dalton shape to me #11

OP
OP
G

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#21 & 22

Coincidence or two broken pieces reunited?

21amp22-Front_zps574f9aad.jpg

21amp22-Detail_zpsd3845115.jpg

21amp22-Detail2_zpsdb74a002.jpg

--ghp

OP
OP
G

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slate?

The equilateral groves on the reverse were caused by me when, as a 14-year old, I tried to make a spear and lashed it to a bamboo pole.

15-Slate-Front_zps8d3c6882.jpg

15-Slate-Back_zps1d68e362.jpg

15-Slate-Side_zps16ce5f68.jpg

--ghp

OP
OP
G

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection, welcome to the site rock.
Looks to be a Dalton shape to me #11

Rock,

Thanks for the welcome and the ID. If you right-click on the images they will open to full size; then, they won't look squat.

--ghp

OP
OP
G

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#29, Scraper

Scraper-Held_zps1ff246c4.jpg

Scraper-Above_zps7434bb97.jpg

Scraper-Profile_zps4c019b50.jpg

Scraper-Top_zps028be047.jpg

The business end:
Scraper-Edge_zps915d1c94.jpg

--ghp

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have NOT found a single thing since then. HOWEVER -- I have a pleasant recurring dream about three times a year in which I find beautiful and plentiful arrowheads. They're all perfect; sometimes other artifacts. Then I, in my dream, say "HEY! This is too good to be true, I'm dreaming." Then I wake up. True story.

hell, we have ALL had that dream! I have it maybe 6 times a year, especially when i haven't be out for a while and anticipate going again...

OP
OP
G

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hell, we have ALL had that dream! I have it maybe 6 times a year, especially when i haven't be out for a while and anticipate going again...

And here I was thinking I was the only one. Mebbys we could form a support group! (^__^)

--Break--

I know my points are run-of-the-mill compared to what the forum members here have found, so I'm not expecting any surprises. I'd just like to get as many identified as possible.

Then I can start dreaming again.

Cheers,
--ghp

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I have NOT found a single thing since then. HOWEVER -- I have a pleasant recurring dream about three times a year in which I find beautiful and plentiful arrowheads. They're all perfect; sometimes other artifacts. Then I, in my dream, say "HEY! This is too good to be true, I'm dreaming." Then I wake up. True story."

I know this is out of left field, but being aware that you're dreaming can be a doorway to experiencing lucid dreams.
Practiced it a bit when I was younger. An interesting way to experience other modes of consciousness. It's become pretty popular in recent years. It hadn't yet become a subject of much study when I first experienced and experimented with it, with only limited success, but enough to know it's very real. You can control the content of your dream, but extremely hard not to wake up. The act of realizing you are dreaming itself causes a surge of emotion which normally causes an immediate wake up.

World of Lucid Dreaming: Learn How to Control Your Dreams

http://www.lucidipedia.com/lucid-dreaming-research/

Very nice artifacts.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had that dream many times...in the dream I always say "Its not a dream this time"

OP
OP
G

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#11 looks like it could be a Hardaway Dalton type.

Thank you very much -- I'll make that note in my files which I'm now keeping (... a pretty easy task compared to most members of this board who have many superb examples).

--ghp

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Would #13 & 14 be Morrow Mountain?
Similar point found on Google Images:
Morrow-Mountain.jpg

--ghp

Yes, 13-14 look like Morrow Mountains for sure, 15 - maybe a really used up and busted Savannah River, 16 - crude Guilford, 17 - tough one but looks like a Kirk variant, if not, then Morrow Mountain (mighta been both and reworked to one or other).

OP
OP
G

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dlos,

Thank you very much! As I said in my initial post I've just bought the Overstreet's Price Guide (13th Ed.). I.HAD.NO.IDEA!! how many different points there are. When the guide arrived at my office, I thought it was some parts for one of our projects ... that's how heavy it was.

Again, thank you for your views; I shall update my records accordingly.

Regards,
--ghp

greendanni

Jan 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are so cool! Nice to join btw, im new here, please send me a message to get in touch:4leafclover:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are so cool! Nice to join btw, im new here, please send me a message to get in touch:4leafclover:

I’ll be the first to say, “Welcome to the forum!” Please post your artifacts, if you have some. Folks like me, who can’t do much searching right now due to the weather, are living vicariously through the finds of others. If you want to rehash some of the older threads, please reply to some of Larson1951’s posts. He always found amazing stuff. There was a sticky link but it’s broken again.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread