monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a book by Bert W. Bierer called Indian Artifacts In The Southeast it does not have all the points that Overstreet has ,but it has more info on the Southeast all around artifacts. You can find it on e-bay because it is out of print, maybe amazon.

OP
OP
Tony in SC

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Sounds like what I have in mind. Now to find one. Tony
I use a book by Bert W. Bierer called Indian Artifacts In The Southeast it does not have all the points that Overstreet has ,but it has more info on the Southeast all around artifacts. You can find it on e-bay because it is out of print, maybe amazon.

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
"The Paleoindian and Early Archaic Southeast" is a must have for all research info information of all sites in the area.There is no more thorough book that I am aware of.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had much luck on finding any books for just the east coast artifacts. If you get a good one let me know.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're in South Carolina this might be a good one depending on what area

ForumRunner_20141116_184821.png

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're in South Carolina this might be a good one depending on what area

View attachment 1080478

This is the foremost book for Piedmont NC written by one of NC's earliest archeologists. It covers 3 stratified excavations done in NC. You might also try Rodney Peck's publications. You can also go to UNC Chapel Hill's "Research Laboratories of Archeology" and go to their "publication" or "archives" sections and read some interesting studies.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inter-library loan works for me and I've read some of the book by Bert Bierer, but somebody put a hold on it and I had to send it back within 2 weeks. You can find some books that are outside the library area and inter-library loan them also, but usually have to pay 2.00 fee. It's worth it to me and some books I thought I would want I didn't and that saved me money buying them. I believe his book or another mentioned how the Indians burned some plant and then soaked it in water for salt and I always thought they went to salt licks somewhere to obtain their salt like the white settlers.

OP
OP
Tony in SC

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help. I could not find, Indian Artifacts in the South, by Bier. Barnes& Noble had one copy in their national warehouse of, The paleoindian and Early Archaic Southeast. I couldn't believe this . Amazon has a hardback copy of The Formative Culture of the Carolina Piedmont for,,,$9990.00. They also had a paper back for $17.00, guess which one I bought?? Thanks again, Tony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread