Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally invested in a pair of Herter's waterproof snake boots

001.JPG I have wanted a pair for awhile now,mostly for creek hunting so I don't have to go around the water, and maybe catch some pieces that would elude me otherwise .I really couldn't afford them right now, but they where the cheapest pair I saw, I caught them on sale for $100.00. I just couldn't help myself!Man I didn't realize how high dollar most of them are.Now all I have to do is wait until I can use them.They will come in handy if we get some heavy snow this year anyway ,so maybe I can break them in that way.That is the excuse I was telling myself while deciding whether to buy them or not:).HH and thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Good investment! I doubled my finds per year by walking straight down the middle of the creek instead of jumping from gravel bar to gravel bar. I also like underwater insitus.

Attachments

• DSCF0015 (1024x780).jpg
    DSCF0015 (1024x780).jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 240
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir,I would hate to miss something like that,Nice man!You sure have some nice looking gravel over there

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good buy and you will find out you will not be so intent on spotting snakes. You will still be looking but not just hung up on the snakes.:laughing7:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that style also now. Ive used them once so far. In the winter I like to use the rubber types cause the water will drain faster without the tying on them. Yours will leak just so you know. I use that type in the summer. I know they say water proof but that style still lets water in.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Lacrosse insulated hunting boots. About the same price. Definite loss of agility and a bit heavy, but warm, waterproof- and I defy a snake to get through! Summer- I carry a snake stick and bang everywhere I suspect a snake to be hiding. Laugh all you like. But they hate the vibrations and slither away. A Candid Camera LOL thing to witness, for sure- me walking along whacking every fallen tree, etc. etc :tongue3:!
Yakker

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Lacrosse insulated hunting boots. About the same price. Definite loss of agility and a bit heavy, but warm, waterproof- and I defy a snake to get through! Summer- I carry a snake stick and bang everywhere I suspect a snake to be hiding. Laugh all you like. But they hate the vibrations and slither away. A Candid Camera LOL thing to witness, for sure- me walking along whacking every fallen tree, etc. etc :tongue3:!
Yakker

Maybe you should change your avatar to "whacker". I wear waders year round.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that style also now. Ive used them once so far. In the winter I like to use the rubber types cause the water will drain faster without the tying on them. Yours will leak just so you know. I use that type in the summer. I know they say water proof but that style still lets water in.
Thanks for the heads up rock!I remember you giving me some tips in the past about different kinds of boots,but I couldn't find the tread.Now I am considering taking these back and getting something else.I have seen a couples pairs of rubber boots for decent prices,but I don't like the idea that they are insulated for warmth because of the times of year I hunt usually somewhat warm, how where your lace boots when you used them,did they leak real bad?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good buy and you will find out you will not be so intent on spotting snakes. You will still be looking but not just hung up on the snakes.:laughing7:
Thanks,I know what you mean, I usually have my eye open for them around the banks,especially when I see their dinner a hoppin.Like mentioned above,sometimes I'll walk seperateing the ferns with a stick ahead of me to have a looksee just to be sure.It would be nice to not have to think about them so much.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
through much scientific research I find that my skin is waterproof ( who knew?)
And I always look down so the snakes don't surprise me

Tulsa Clovis

Greenie
Aug 24, 2014
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There is as much underwater as on the gravel bars (sometimes more because other hunters often skip the water). If its warm, I'm in shorts and tennis shoes and will wade or swim anything. I personally use neoprene chest waders in winter, they really help. They trap in body heat and block the wind.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Now you can step on wet snakes.:laughing7: Tony
with a smile;)Had a buddy shake a copperhead about as big around as a baseball last spring gobbler season off his snake boots.But he wasn't paying attention to much to the ground

Last edited:

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a snake in the trees that hang over the water. Don't forget to look up every now and then!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up rock!I remember you giving me some tips in the past about different kinds of boots,but I couldn't find the tread.Now I am considering taking these back and getting something else.I have seen a couples pairs of rubber boots for decent prices,but I don't like the idea that they are insulated for warmth because of the times of year I hunt usually somewhat warm, how where your lace boots when you used them,did they leak real bad?

Depends how deep your creek is. I get water in my rubber boots to. Some of the creek is 6 ft deep where I hunt. I don't go into that part unless its summer. But most of the creek is 2-4 ft deep so yeah all of the boots I use get water in them. If you get some different boots look at the "mud" type usually thick and will hold up in all weather. If your creek is only inches deep there shouldnt be a problem. I use the rubber type in the winter cause the snakes are usually asleep. If it warms up I check to see if the ants are crawling and if so I know the snakes are.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wanting some snake proof boots for some time, but haven't found any for that price. Yakker, you talking about taking a stick and whacking the brush reminds me of these two guys I used to know. They were walking down by the river and had another friend with them and he was hitting the fence posts as he walked by them. He was about 50-60 feet ahead of them and all of a sudden he started fanning the air and yelling and took off running. He had stirred up either a wasps nest or hornets/yellow jackets hitting the post. I don't know if they were in the ground and the vibration from hitting the post set them off or had a nest in the post. They laughed at this poor man and I can just see him with everything going so good and a pretty day and just whacking those posts and then getting stung.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I hunt there are Copperheads and many leaves. The snakes like hanging around the creeks in the game trails which I normally walk cause its a clear trail. I did one day use my stick to walk down a steep bank as I poked my stick in the leaves to support myself while going down I felt a strike on the stick. I looked but couldn't see anything. The Copperheads blend in very well. I use my snake boots while near the water. I don't care what time of the year it is and even wear them in the creek. Takes them a while to dry out but its worth it. I did see a Copperhead last year while walking a gravel bar. It was spring time and it was slow or I could of got it in the leg. They also will swim in the creeks.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wanting some snake proof boots for some time, but haven't found any for that price. Yakker, you talking about taking a stick and whacking the brush reminds me of these two guys I used to know. They were walking down by the river and had another friend with them and he was hitting the fence posts as he walked by them. He was about 50-60 feet ahead of them and all of a sudden he started fanning the air and yelling and took off running. He had stirred up either a wasps nest or hornets/yellow jackets hitting the post. I don't know if they were in the ground and the vibration from hitting the post set them off or had a nest in the post. They laughed at this poor man and I can just see him with everything going so good and a pretty day and just whacking those posts and then getting stung.
Bee's seem to be the worst for me,they seem to get me every year,mostly yellow jackets.been lucky with the copperheads so far,always see them right before i step on them,which is usually just a couple feet away.Check out Cabela's for snake boots,It's where i got this pair.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends how deep your creek is. I get water in my rubber boots to. Some of the creek is 6 ft deep where I hunt. I don't go into that part unless its summer. But most of the creek is 2-4 ft deep so yeah all of the boots I use get water in them. If you get some different boots look at the "mud" type usually thick and will hold up in all weather. If your creek is only inches deep there shouldnt be a problem. I use the rubber type in the winter cause the snakes are usually asleep. If it warms up I check to see if the ants are crawling and if so I know the snakes are.
Damn rock, sounds like you are hunting in little rivers.The creeks I hunt aren't very deep until I come to the pools.I would guess besides the pools maybe 7-9 inches some places maybe not quite that deep,some more so.I am thinking about just keeping them and maybe look into another pair later on when I can afford them.I will check the mud boots out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread