My "Haunted" Celt

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is likely the oddest artifact I ever found. Very nicely made, colorful, a shame the bit is so beat up. It also behaves oddly. When found in a potato field years ago, it was jet black on the side with all the color. That side was face up in the dirt. Took it home and displayed the other side for a few days. Took it out of the case, turned it over, and the beautiful green coloration was everywhere:icon_scratch: Huh??. That side was the same color as the other side when found.

I laid it down with the color side face up, and watched, as over the passage of a few days, the color green vanished!! What the hey?

Finally, a friend explained what my celt was doing:

"I think we’re in the second possibility. “Tenebrescence” - also known as “reversible photochromism” whereby the colour change is the result of sunlight. This effect is the principle behind self-adjusting sunglasses, which darken on exposure to sunlight and also “girly” nail varnishes which change colour in the sun… but the materials used there are synthetic.

There are relatively few natural minerals which are tenebrescent. Some members of the sodalite family (such as hackmanite and tugtupite) exhibit it quite strongly. The colour change is normally from white/colourless to purple-red after exposure. Spodumene (a lithium-rich silicate) also exhibits the property, changing from white/colourless to green. There is a variety of spodumene called hiddenite which is emerald green to begin with, so I would guess that might go even darker green on exposure.

It’s the ultra-violet part of the spectrum that initiates the change and most glass doesn’t let too much of that through, so you may find it takes rather longer to show any effect than would be the case without glass. The phenomenon can be repeated indefinitely, but is normally permanently destroyed by heating.

There are plenty of spodumene sources in your area – it normally occurs in pegmatite rocks"

So, here is my "haunted" celt. I keep the color-side down in the case, so the color won't fade.
Leave it color-side up, and all the green will fade until it looks like the other side of the celt.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is darn awesome. Thank you for sharing. Are those rocks indigenous to the New England area?

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is darn awesome. Thank you for sharing. Are those rocks indigenous to the New England area?

Yes, indeed! The red crystals on the map mark outcrops:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 96

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow- that's a trip! I think I'd get a little edgy too if my pieces started changing color from one day to the next...!
Thanks for that 'who knew?' piece of info. Never would have guessed. Yak

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty.It was always my understanding that celts were used to chop like an axe.With some possibly used as weapons.What's your opinion on the possible use of this charl she's pretty small for chopping.Possibly ceremonial?....mjm

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beauty.It was always my understanding that celts were used to chop like an axe.With some possibly used as weapons.What's your opinion on the possible use of this charl she's pretty small for chopping.Possibly ceremonial?....mjm

Small woodworking jobs is all I can come up with,mjm. It would have to be socketed and held by hand I imagine. I think it was a pretty small celt to start with, maybe a miniature to start. Not ceremonial, it's used to the hilt. For those hard to get to places:laughing7:

I always wondered if the native who owned it ever noticed it's chameleon like habits, and if so, how he interpreted it? "Hey, that's my celt!! No it's not! Your celt was green, this one is black. Nice try......"

Last edited:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is very interesting Charl, thanks for showing and posting. That is a beautiful material on that celt, and I can't help but wonder if it's original maker also noticed the light induced color changes, and if perhaps that material was sourced partially for that trait? I am curious if that type material is knappable, and how frequently you see artifacts made from it up your way?
I have some flaked stone artifacts that have changed appearance since I picked them up off the ground and put them in Riker mounts, and had assumed it was only due to them fully drying out. I may have to flip some of them over and see if the back sides are different, or if they will change due to exposure to natural UV light. HH
(PS. I can't wait to get back out in the fields with my hunt buddies and use the words and terms; Tenebrescence, reversible photochromism, sodalite, hackmanite and tugtupite, Spodumene, and pegmatite. I am sure I will not be using them correctly, but I doubt my friends will know. LOL)

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
redbeardrelics, this is the only artifact I've found that displayed this unusual trait. Don't know if it would be knappable.
i have found the two half's of points on seperate occasions, and glued them back together. In one instance, the patina was very different between the two half's. But, over the course of quite a bit of time, the two sections gradually had matching patina! Lol, have fun throwing around all those multisyllable words:laughing7:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I would shine a UV L.E.D. light on it and see what magic unfolds! They are about 10 bucks but worth every penny for playing with minerals. The one I use for Rubies emits UVA (which ranges from 400nm-315nm); at 380nm. Great tool!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is Cool! :icon_thumleft: Wish I could find one of those celts out here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread