Beware folks: Contacted by Illinois fish and wildlife.

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am an Ebay seller. Been selling some mid range pieces lately, all found on private land. Well I get a really weird email, then the phone call follows a day later. Basically the email went as follows, "Mr. :":{":" we are concerned about your recent acquisitions. We will be contacting you later. Next day, phone rings an unfamiliar number, didn't answer. Traced the call back to Illinois fish and game . I don't live in Illinois nor do I know what this organization is responsible for. It's really freeked me out. I am not easily un-tempered. I know where my direction is in this hobby, OUT. Not worth a 200 grand bill, and time in jail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Treasure Hunter- I don't think the IRS calls. They first send a letter (1st. class),then a certified letter, then certified with "restricted delivery" (only the addressee can sign and if listed as blank AND blank, both have to sign. I've never seen one from them Registered(under lock and key from point A to point B).
If you knowing receive (sign for) known contraband (because the package has been inspected) the U.S. Postal Inspector's DO NOT have to have a search warrant to enter your home. Contraband can be guns,explosives,drugs,Eagle Feathers etc.
In missouri the Game Wardens work for the Missouri Dept. of Conservation. They will make you put any artifacts back taken off of State or Fed. land. Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter- I don't think the IRS calls. They first send a letter (1st. class),then a certified letter, then certified with "restricted delivery" (only the addressee can sign and if listed as blank AND blank, both have to sign. I've never seen one from them Registered(under lock and key from point A to point B).
If you knowing receive (sign for) known contraband (because the package has been inspected) the U.S. Postal Inspector's DO NOT have to have a search warrant to enter your home. Contraband can be guns,explosives,drugs,Eagle Feathers etc.
In missouri the Game Wardens work for the Missouri Dept. of Conservation. They will make you put any artifacts back taken off of State or Fed. land. Good luck.
Oh I know they don't call, they send registered letters. I have been audited twice and questioned multiple times on items on my returns over the years. I knew it was bogus but others may not know.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fish and Game does not need a warrant to search you or your vehicle...the only need one to search your house...they have more power than police...many people don't know that
Beg to differ with you on that. As long as you do not in any way give consent to search your vehicle they can't (legally) period. They'll pop up with the ole we'll just have to impound your vehicle or hold you in jail until we get a warrant spiel until you give consent. I know this for fact per my attorney, and had a couple of fish & game officers claiming I was in possession of some indian artifacts that were supposedly in the area. When I sat down next to the road & lit up a smoke telling them "I'll wait for your warrant", they magically got a call and had to leave.
I'm sorry, but you should go check your information with your attorney. I'm sure your atty. will tell you something like "That's what they'd like you to believe". Take care out there & be safe my friend.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beg to differ with you on that. As long as you do not in any way give consent to search your vehicle they can't (legally) period. They'll pop up with the ole we'll just have to impound your vehicle or hold you in jail until we get a warrant spiel until you give consent. I know this for fact per my attorney, and had a couple of fish & game officers claiming I was in possession of some indian artifacts that were supposedly in the area. When I sat down next to the road & lit up a smoke telling them "I'll wait for your warrant", they magically got a call and had to leave.
I'm sorry, but you should go check your information with your attorney. I'm sure your atty. will tell you something like "That's what they'd like you to believe". Take care out there & be safe my friend.
In your state it may be different but in Florida its just like I said...I have family in law enforcement.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did some quick research and I believe they have the right to search without a warrant in all states...like I said before, many people don't know that they have more power than other law enforcement officers.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did some quick research and I believe they have the right to search without a warrant in all states...like I said before, many people don't know that they have more power than other law enforcement officers.
Under federal law, you have rights regarding search & seizure. I'm former law enforcement also. I've had this conversation with two attorneys & A ranger & park enforcement officer in the area of Prescott Arizona. I'd rather depend on past training, information from a Federal officer & a Ranger and a couple of attorneys that deal with this on a daily basis than some "Quick research" on the web. With that being said, I'm gonna leave this to others so as to not start an endless battle.

Anyone else with "firsthand" information on this? Be interesting to hear from others on this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supreme court refused to over rule lower court ruling stating rangers do not need search warrant to search cars leaving hunting and fishing areas...

The U.S. Supreme Court decided Monday not to review a California Supreme Court ruling from last June that upheld the constitutionality of vehicle stops made by California game wardens to make sure motorists leaving hunting or fishing grounds haven’t bagged any wildlife out of season.

By denying review of the ruling, the nation’s high court handed California game wardens the authority to conduct vehicle stops without a warrant. While it was the National Rifle Association that joined the defendant’s legal counsel in requesting a hearing from the Supreme Court, the ACLU might have had more at stake than the NRA in a case that has more to do with the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution than the Second Amendment.

The case, Maikhio vs. California, involved a San Diego fisherman named Bouhn Maikhio, who a game warden patrolling a fishing pier spotted reeling in something that the warden suspected might be a lobster. When he stopped Maikhio’s car and searched his bag, the warden found a California spiny lobster, and the fisherman was charged with a misdemeanor of catching a lobster out of season.

When Maikhio challenged the vehicle search as unconstitutional, lower courts ruled in his favor, but upon review by the California Supreme Court, the warden’s vehicle stop and search were upheld in a unanimous decision. Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye argued that the minor intrusion of a vehicle stop is outweighed by the need to protect wildlife and preserve it for future generations, arguing that the warden was functioning in the capacity of conservation, not criminal law enforcement.

http://ivn.us/2012/03/06/supreme-court-no-warrant-needed-for-ca-game-wardens-to-stop-cars/

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......... a game warden patrolling a fishing pier spotted reeling in something that the warden suspected might be a lobster."

I'm wondering if the fact that the game warden saw this suspicious activity figured into the ruling vs a search absent of suspicious activity.
"The U.S. Supreme Court decided Monday not to review a California Supreme Court ruling from last June that upheld the constitutionality of vehicle stops made by California game wardens to make sure motorists leaving hunting or fishing grounds haven’t bagged any wildlife out of season."

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard it mentioned, but y'all do know that warantless searches are allowed under exigent circumstances?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were talking about game wardens pulling people over leaving hunting and fishing areas, police still need probable cause to search....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember seeing a married couple getting busted in the Petrified Forest. Apparently, there was petrified wood visible in the back seat. Husband is telling two rangers "we collected that outside the park earlier today". Wife walks up. "Ma'am, you know anything about that petrified wood"? "Oh, we bought that at one of the rock shops!" Woops!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under federal law, you have rights regarding search & seizure. I'm former law enforcement also. I've had this conversation with two attorneys & A ranger & park enforcement officer in the area of Prescott Arizona. I'd rather depend on past training, information from a Federal officer & a Ranger and a couple of attorneys that deal with this on a daily basis than some "Quick research" on the web. With that being said, I'm gonna leave this to others so as to not start an endless battle.

Anyone else with "firsthand" information on this? Be interesting to hear from others on this.
You've been told but you don't have to believe...fair enough.

OP
OP
Igyjastabay

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, I have read through all of this, lots of paranoia. I was the original poster on this thread. Everything is cool, talked to a warden and I am cleared, only for a second was I scared. This is old news, I will say I understand more than I used too. They watch and don't be foolish.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Illinois, & I can tell you ( not from experience just from knowledge ) that they would not call you & leave you a message. They WILL just show up at your front door. They do not need a warrant to enter your home. They catch a lot of poachers up here that way. The same would be for people digging on Federal Property. Someone is always making the paper or internet for doing stupid stuff like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread