DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
016.JPG 017.JPG 023.JPG 028.JPG 029.JPG The first smaller piece as far as my research has told me might be a "Abasolo',which would be early-mid archaic and in the Triangle family?The second larger piece, I have always thought to be a Morrow Mountain, type 1 or 2?But doing some more research I came across a piece that has a similar base,same tapered shoulders and overall shape,called a 'Maples" point'?Which I think is in the Morrow Mountain family.It is fun and interesting collecting and studying artifacts,i love it, but man it is confusing to me sometimes.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to toss this in...the impression I got from the photos of your first piece was that it looks like a piece of a broken bit from a celt or axe

ForumRunner_20141126_183807.png

ForumRunner_20141126_184041.png

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean, it does look similar,but I think the whole thing is there,I am sure it is a point,but what type I don't know?What about the second one Morrow Mountain?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM on the 2nd one its not a Maples. The stem is to long for it to be one. This is a Maples

Attachments

• 100_2147.JPG
    100_2147.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 91

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure whats going on with the first piece, the second looks like a Morrow Mountain type 1. I think type 2 are longer and thinner, or more narrow, nice find.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can check the Morrow Mountain 1 off for sure now.The other one is gonna bug me for awhile I guess.Thanks for the i.d fellas!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1st one doesn't show well in the pics as far as flaking on the edge. My question is any work on the edges? I find some that look like something but aren't worked at times. Not saying its natural but could be a piece removed.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1st one doesn't show well in the pics as far as flaking on the edge. My question is any work on the edges? I find some that look like something but aren't worked at times. Not saying its natural but could be a piece removed.
That's what Gator was getting at,I am starting to agree with you guys more and more.I don't see much sign of flaking but the edges look like they "might" have been filed down real fine.I managed to get a couple pics before my camera batteries died,but look at the discoloring down the edged where the fine edge begins?I don't no it that has any significance or not? 002.JPG 001.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard call from where I sit. Get a loop and have a look at the edge.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you mean by loop?

A loop is good you can find them at Amazon in the microscope section, but the best thing I have for under 4$ is a mini microscope from Amazon. A loop will cost that much and this scope has a light on it and goes up to 50x power.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A loop is a small, pocket-sized, usually 2-lensed magnifying glass in the form of an oval. The lenses fold out for single or double magnification. Often called a 'jeweler's loop'. I have one- and about a dozen other forms of magnification scattered throughout the house- so wherever I am, I can take a closer look-- at whatever. A cheap and easy item is a slide-out plastic item, probably offered in 'goodie bags' at conventions and such- the square lens slides out and a light automatically comes on. In a corner of that lens, there's a little round super-magnifier (stronger than the big one) where you can squint and examine tiny things. No, it isn't great- but it's better than nothing, and I've used it often. It's about the size of an ipod. I've looked at that piece a number of times now. Without holding it and magnifying it, I just can't guess one way or another what that thing is. Good luck! Yakker

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got me a new one its 40x hand held with a light option on it. It will show the flaking if there is any. If it was found in water sometimes from the sand washing over it for thousands of years it will take the flaking off. This one is a good example of water wear. Flaking is very hard to see. If you click on the pic it will enlarge so you can get a close up.

Attachments

• SDC11216.JPG
    SDC11216.JPG
    744.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread