sending artifacts through ups

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given this axe now I have to get it home.I flew to Michigan with just my carry on bag. I am worried that they wont allow it in my carry on bag.Don't want to be denied then have to leave it behind.When I get dropped off at the airport I won't have a chance to hand it off should I be denied.Trying to contact someone to ask is a joke.Besides I can't trust their answer to be right.I have a history of being told one thing and then find out I was misinformed.Can't risk it.Any advice on sendind ups.Makes me shutter just to think about it.Any help would be appreciated as I'm leaving in the morning...mjm

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi maineman,i just finnished a two month everyday conveyor job for them.i have seen how a package has no chance unless packed very well,they will pile them up so high that they fall off the belts,if they jam they will kick them down slides,throw them around.it is a mad house when they do thier sorts.reminds me of slave labor too..looks like alot of unhappy part time workers there,i did see sign that offers a 5000.00 dollar reward for turning someone in for theft though.maybe the upgrades we did will help them out

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Should be fine sending via UPS or USPS, neither of which would need to know what it is, just package well and send it on it's way. I agree that taking with you as a carry on or in your airplane luggage would be a gamble.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I send all kinds of stuff by UPS. Wrap it up good and jam it into the smallest box that will fit. They will ask if it is explosives, chemicals, etc. Don't tell them it's a weapon. If they ask tell them it's a rock for your collection. Tony

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bubble wrap it and box it. Ive never had a problem.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself a Priority Mail Box, they are free, and wrap it really well in bubble wrap and newspapers and it should be fine. I have shipped a lot of thing over the past few years and have never had anything broken.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got it sent the axe weighed 3.45lbs.It ended up costing me $41.00 which I thought was a little crazy.But that's what I get for living out in the sticks in Maine...Oh well I guess I'm never gonna get one cheaper unless I find it myself...mjm

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with grim I send everything by priority mail never one broke item and always on time if it fits it ships lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread