The Quartz Factory

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you're not crazy about quartz, southern New England is not the place for you:laughing7: Our most productive field yields ~90% quartz Wading River and Squibnocket Stemmed points. These simple points were products of a quartz pebble industry--no cores, no quarrying, just pick up a quartz pebble and bang out a point. The Mrs. and I have been walking this field for 25 years.
She was spreading them out for a look see last week and I took some photos. As I was telling yakker recently, it's only human to get a wee bit tired of quartz and more quartz, and it's a hard lithic to work, which can result in crude points, but plenty of decent points as well. Hunting southeastern New England means quartz and more quartz. Minority material from this field includes argillite Late Archaic stemmed and Brewertons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some in-situs from a couple weeks ago, and the only chert point from the field in 25 years. Oddly, I went c. 20 years without finding a triangle in this field, then found 2 in one day. And of course they were quartz.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 89

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a lot of quartz where I'm at too. Your collection is awesome though! Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing the other non-quartz stuff because the eye has a way of looking at the bright white stuff first...I'm trying to fix that though and trying to sift the small pebble bars for the other colors.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care what stone NAs used. Finding any artifact is a thrill. And you have a lot of beauties!

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's a lot of quartz where I'm at too. Your collection is awesome though! Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing the other non-quartz stuff because the eye has a way of looking at the bright white stuff first...I'm trying to fix that though and trying to sift the small pebble bars for the other colors.

I know exactly how you feel, Peaches. As many years as I've surface hunted, I never have confidence that I'm good enough. When I introduced my wife to the hobby, she only had to see a lithic material once; then she could go in a field and find every flake of that material. Me, I'm constantly trying to get "into a zone", and some days I'm in that zone real good, and sometimes not. I will never trust myself to be "good enough", yet I can spot the tiniest flake in a carpet of pebbles, so I'm not a bad surface hunter at all, and I am good enough:laughing7: My wife tells me you just need to trust your unconscious mind to stop you in your tracks. She daydreams while she walks and is a hundred yards ahead of me in no time at all. From day one, she was a natural at this hobby. Making me a very lucky guy of course!

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few of the quartz points are semi-crystalline. Besides points and scrapers, the field has yielded two pestles, one broken gouge, several hardly used hammerstones, and a very crude pendant made of shale. Maybe it was made arrowhead shaped, not sure, but pretty it's not.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 88

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection I can see a lot of hours and dedication to a great hobby .

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection I can see a lot of hours and dedication to a great hobby .

Thanks. One thing we collectors all invest is many hours of our life's. Probably come close to walking around the world at least once as well:laughing7:

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Charl- for all that. I can identify with everything both you and NCPeaches are saying! And that is an amazing collection! Interestingly, that 1 single chert piece looks hauntingly like the stone I was trying to figure out- and had such a poor picture of- to show and get opinions. Your pic captured the color and texture nearly to a 'T'. Perhaps the geology of your area and my area are similar for one reason or another. I'll have to look that up and see what I can find. I do know that some truly amazing pieces have been inexplicably worked out of the most tricky quartz, and I'm always amazed to find those, rare as they are.

It is indeed hard to train one's eye to see things other than the bright and shiny- and most obvious- things. I struggle with that and feel lucky to have found what I have- that wasn't quartz.

I think I've posted some pics of my quartz collection. Many similar styles to yours. I'll see if I can find them and re-post, just for comparison's sake. But thank you again. HH! Yakker

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing collection of quartz points! :icon_thumright: I don't find the fractured quartz here, I guess they were particular in their choice of material. That point you posted (first picture) in post #6 sure is a nice one. If it's okay, here are a few that I have previously shown.

Folder #1 282.JPG Folder #1 283.JPG

Out here there were quite a few different types of material to choose from. They had to make use with what materials that were available. And I am sure that if better quality material was available through trading with other clans would have been more highly prized.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

These are from a post long ago. The difficulty in making good workable/useful points from such a stubborn rock proves their worth, I think. They make some of the most beautiful and the most ugly all at once! Hope you don't mind my jumping in w/ these older pics, but I think it's important to say that regardless of finding quartz nearly exclusively right now, I'm always amazed and grateful for the things I find. I'm a very lucky duck to find anything at all. ;) Yakker

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice collection of quartz charl.Here in Maine I always find signs of quartz usage.I have one broken quartz point in about ten years of hunting.I do have a couple of tiny thumb scrapers.I've heard they do find more towards the coast.But I'm pretty locked into my local spots and have never did any beach hunting.When surface hunting my eyes are naturally drawn to the shine stuff.What takes a little experience is spotting the flaked stuff in a sea of rocks.With a little experience soon your eyes will spot anything that is to round or to straight... MJM

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection of quartz Charlie. 2nd photo the grey stones what were they used for? I found one like it not long ago.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old Digger and yakker, thank you for posting those super quartz points! That's a beautiful grade, Digger, and a nice variety of styles, yakker.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice collection of quartz Charlie. 2nd photo the grey stones what were they used for? I found one like it not long ago.

i think you're talking about the pestles. I posted about the broken one recently; still waiting for the rest of it to show up some day. We hope!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! If that is what you've found, think about what is still lower in the ground. That place must have a real history. Tony

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since my mind was on quartz anyway, I pulled these out. From a different site then the others, but two of my favorite quartz pieces. A Squibnocket Stemmed and a Brewerton Side Notch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 56

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection Charl.Looks like you have been hunting in quartz heaven.Like mentioned above, each one is a thrill to find.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection of quartz artifacts, thanks for the look.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're not crazy about quartz, southern New England is not the place for you:laughing7: Our most productive field yields ~90% quartz Wading River and Squibnocket Stemmed points. These simple points were products of a quartz pebble industry--no cores, no quarrying, just pick up a quartz pebble and bang out a point. The Mrs. and I have been walking this field for 25 years.
She was spreading them out for a look see last week and I took some photos. As I was telling yakker recently, it's only human to get a wee bit tired of quartz and more quartz, and it's a hard lithic to work, which can result in crude points, but plenty of decent points as well. Hunting southeastern New England means quartz and more quartz. Minority material from this field includes argillite Late Archaic stemmed and Brewertons.

Some in-situs from a couple weeks ago, and the only chert point from the field in 25 years. Oddly, I went c. 20 years without finding a triangle in this field, then found 2 in one day. And of course they were quartz.

charlie-----------you have a nice thread here ....very informative

we don't have that sort of thing here and i am sure many areas don't..........that's why this is such a great forum for learning

dunka shein from all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread