rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a busted up hammer stone to me.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a cool artifact. I would consider that a creek cobble that was bipolar opened, and maybe a tool or point was made out of the flakes that were removed. And it does look like they had to whack it a few times to get it open. I wonder if when you are completed the dig, you will have found some tools or flakes that you can associate with that core?

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
That is a cool artifact. I would consider that a creek cobble that was bipolar opened, and maybe a tool or point was made out of the flakes that were removed. And it does look like they had to whack it a few times to get it open. I wonder if when you are completed the dig, you will have found some tools or flakes that you can associate with that core?

I was hoping someone would ask! I will keep posting....

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wouldn't bite down but once to get to the center on that thing. Cool piece.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many flint hammerstones but none looked like the one pictured, interesting find.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Busset Hamma Stone boom!
Hammer stones are very often made of the same material being knapped. I have a zillion coastal plains chert and agatized coral hammer stones from sites where the debitage is all the same material. It's the shape and smooth surfaces that make them work well. I'd bet that since they are the same hardness there is benefit to that. If not lost perfect, they eventually fracture off and/or get too small for the work, say random archaic flaking.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a very good find as most do not survive. It is possible they knapped with that cortex 1320. It was kinda like the texture of a billet or antler as it would grab the flint for knapping.
This is how it was explained to me on a few examples I have collected. See what you think? The backs are almost solid flint where the shell was knocked off.Not sure but think they have been found in association with whole knapping kits. I will check.

PC150275.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread