my find of the year...

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My best find of the year is also the first artifact I've ever knowingly found. One early Spring afternoon this year I was in a local creek gathering round river pebbles that were shaped and left in my vicinity by the ancient Teays River. I have been collecting Teays River stones (and any cool rock for that matter!) for over twenty years and although I have known about the history of natives in my area and have seen numerous artifacts found by friends, I never really hunted for them. Until I saw this sticking out of a bed of river pebbles! Obviously I was blown away. It may be many moons before I find something this nice and it may never happen, but that won't stop me from looking!

IMG_2321.jpg IMG_2315.jpg IMG_2318.jpg

Upvote 0

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! That is awesome!!

On an semi-related note... Can I ask how/where you found out about the ancient river? I am in Colorado, but have been trying to find info on ancient rivers here with our much success...

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on that nice find! Keep looking in that same area because there may be many more. Good luck and posted them!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one nice looking blade. 4 inches long?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is is a nice one. I always liked that black material you guys have up there. Like the other members said the area you are in may have a whole collection or two just waiting on you. Keep us posted.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a Maples don't know if you have them or not.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet. That had to look good sticking out of the gravel. A pic before you grabbed it would've been killer.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice blade, teays river supposedly still runs under ground in my neck of the woods ,not sure though,

OP
OP
reuellis

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rock: it is about 3 1/2". i'm not so sure about a maples, it doesn't have a stem. have seen many similar that are simply called an archaic triangular knife.

am87: an internet search for teays river gave me a lot of good resources. i grew up here so always knew of the teays, always called the river stones potato rocks growing up. i think the arkansas was damned by a glacier, not sure about an ice sheet wiping out any rivers in colorado.

pickaway: i've heard the same thing about the teays going underground. i think it was just north of chillicothe?

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah thats where im at, School I went to was called Teays Valley,If you have any pics of those teays river stones postem id like to see them.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice, kind of Cobb's looking but could be resharpened after a break. Hey Pickaway my 1st. wife ( only one ) went to Teays Valley, class of 74. Yeah I'm old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread