20141206_194116.jpg

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be Central or South American.....but we need information as well. Size, pic of back etc. Many pieces like this were and still are reproduced and made to look older than the hills just as yours does. Very interesting piece whatever the outcome, hope it's real though.

OP
OP
R

riley456

Dec 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20141206_194822.jpg 20141206_194843.jpg 20141206_194116.jpg 20141206_194904.jpg it was found in north central arkansas 20 years ago and ha been the possession of my family since then.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although it has the look....you know...."the look", It bothers me that the reverse looks like it has been chipped away from a larger piece but the front decorative side seems to be perfect in form around all the contours of the edges.The stones color too does not look consistent throughout, especially where the chipped parts are. If it were buried for that long a time I would think it would not look as fresh. Surely someone else will chime in to counter or support that theory, I could be wrong. It does look old though.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Although it has the look....you know...."the look", It bothers me that the reverse looks like it has been chipped away from a larger piece but the front decorative side seems to be perfect in form around all the contours of the edges.The stones color too does not look consistent throughout, especially where the chipped parts are. If it were buried for that long a time I would think it would not look as fresh. Surely someone else will chime in to counter or support that theory, I could be wrong. It does look old though.

...but if it was chipped off of a larger piece, say a wall mural or some such, wouldn't the back look like that?

We need more background other than ....was found 20 years ago in Arkansas....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like something from Mexico to me but I could be wrong......its interesting

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be an interesting mix. Not holding corn. Stylized headdress seems Mesoamerican, short loincloth not art-worthy Maya, nose not really 'classic' Mesoamerican either. Not a god, not a mix of beast and man, can't tell what he's holding in either hand. Close-ups of pics are too blurry to see detail of material. I would take it to a museum where they include Native American, Meso- and South American art. No matter where I look, I don't see anything like that. But I may be looking in the wrong places ;) Good luck- and tell us if you find out! Yakker

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't appear similar to the work of people present in prehistoric Arkansas but might be representative of the culture present 20 years ago. Arkansas has some very talented artisans that you never hear about and this wouldn't be beyond their ability to produce, for reasons known only to them. The back does look out of place with the front. Maybe the chips were caused by improper storage or handling over the years? Look into narrowing down where it was found and the circumstances surrounding the find, and you can start doing some research on it. Good luck. It is cool looking!

JRedHorse

Feb 1, 2015
from NH relocating to FL summer 2015
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector but will be upgrading when I hit FL.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The "Headdress" is very similar to the Plains peoples Sioux style single trailer war bonnet, the chest plate is very similar to the beaded designs of my very Tribe (Northern Blackfeet Nation-Peigan Band) we were called the Pikuni before we were renamed by the Anglos.
There appears to be a Fan in one hand and a pipe in the other, with the breech clout and the waist shash I would say you have a Plains style piece of native pottery, very beautiful piece I'd put that one under glass. and I'd bet a months pay that it was made around 1830-1850. (Due to the style of the line work).

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you mean Southern Peigan (Pukuni) don't you? The Northern band are Canadian First Nations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread