Ideas of provenance for Non Florida, Non Personal Finds?

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Some pieces given to me over the years, forgot provenance and really don't collect anything but personal finds from my region...... This has been a yearly post for me, LOL. I wonder if anyone can look at these and say "BINGO!" because they recognize the material and types.

These first pieces were all found on one farm all I can remember is "somewhat" upper SE US and that can be from TN to AK , not the carolinas, nor GA or FL. Maybe Tx.....but I don't think so. These were in a small box with many other broken pieces and some other interesting pieces of limerock. and these odd clayish, fossilish, beadish things
and these what I believe are truly drilled flat pebbles, there were some that were not modified by humans with them....

I thought seeing these other things would help narrow the region down.

Anyone recognize these types or material??

This piece was given to me in NJ when I was a kid. The collector was a professional arch and all I can remember is that he said it was a nice piece....... It doesn't look like any material I've seen, though I have seen some similarly odd patina from Europe.... Have no idea and N. American types really don't fit....like Abosolo.... Any recognition here?? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I see those clay bead looking things so often I ignore them, where I am from they would be remnants from sand shrimp burrow necks...semi fossilized. I have a jar full of them.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
The pieces in the center of the frame, just below the penny, look like Fort Payne chert. I think Fort Payne out crops in Alabama, but found in a couple different states in the south east. I think I guessed Guilford on the last piece last time, I'll go with maybe a Lerma round base this time, I think they usually have a ground base. Material looks like heavily patinated Jasper, maybe mottled Jasper.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
your large point look a whole bunch like what I have seen out in the PNW...cascade points

Cascade Series

OP
OP
tomclark

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
TN and AL were the two states I thought the person probably told me.....
Thanks!!

The last larger piece has unusual basal thinning by flaking.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last piece does look oddly African

Blombos_Cave_bifacial_points.jpg

ForumRunner_20141210_145319.png

ForumRunner_20141210_145334.png

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
...yeah those African pieces have been showing up on EBAY as Columbia River points for several years now....similar styles AND similar stones. I have personally found EVERY one of those same style points that you just displayed!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the actual artifacts that came from that cave in South Africa

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
...yep and the style transcends time and place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread