Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've always had doubts about this thing. I got this many years from a man who said it came from a dig in Miss, or MO. He said the two pieces were found in the same hole, and that it was a small hand grinder? The round piece is about the size of a tennis ball and the other is 6" long. I thought it may be coral, but not sure. It is a whiteish material that is kinda soft. There appears to be fossils in both pieces. Need opinions, good or bad. Thanks, Tony

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2970.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2972.jpg
    IMG_2972.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be just me but I think they are natural. Neither one shows any polish from use from where I sit. The round ball looks to be a natural sandstone shape. Sandstone comes in all shapes even round. Easy mistake though.

OP
OP
Tony in SC

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be. I don't see any tool marks. One of my concerns, the squaresh hole doesn't fit the ball real good. Tony
Might be just me but I think they are natural. Neither one shows any polish from use from where I sit. The round ball looks to be a natural sandstone shape. Sandstone comes in all shapes even round. Easy mistake though.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They did take advantage of the mother nature round stone balls but not that one. The other clue to it being natural is nobody else has responded that would be my first clue for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread