yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having looked up these things, there doesn't seem to be a forum for such things. They mostly land here as people find them thinking they're maybe worked N.A. stone- only to find that they're actually gun flints! Maybe they should be in the Rev. War forum... But not in 'Relics'- as they're not detected by metal detecting. (Maybe there should be an 'American Mudlarking' forum here...?

I went back up the Maryland to check on my house (still for sale), and went out to one of my favorite spots- which has options for long walks and very short 'look-see's'. Having just twisted the he!! out of my ankle, I opted for the nearest spot, hoping something might have washed out or in while I was in VA. I didn't see an flakes or points, but after a cold and windy search, I did find a nice little- and nearly exhausted French gun flint! So here it is, along with my growing collection of these cool little items! Thanks for looking- and HH all Yakker

018.jpg 019.jpg

from a hunt just before I moved- very weathered...

020.jpg 022.jpg

and the rest...

0322141619.jpg 0322141620.jpg

Cheers ;)

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure have enjoyed the knowledge shared in this thread. Keep it coming. I don't find pipes but do find flints.

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! Finally got a couple pics of my snap/trade pipes. Age- haven't got a clue. The one in particular (revealing my truly dismal photographic abilities) looks far more recent than the others- and is surprisingly unused... Of a very nicely done horse's head. The other drawer-o-bowls are all reed-stem pipes and generally 1800's (late- and into early 20th c. too) I offered a very long PDF article I'd found on the bottle site concerning a speckled pottery/slip pig... there are references 2-3 hundred (yikes) pages in - which you can scroll until you see pictures) concerning reed pipe bowls- and pics of what they'd look like outfitted with said reed. They were made many places/states east of the Mississippi, though I'm no expert. Anyhoo, here are the pics (such as they are) ;) Yakker

007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg

0306141541.jpg

added for your convenience- https://www.tn.gov/environment/docs/...eries_2011.pdf

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! Finally got a couple pics of my snap/trade pipes. Age- haven't got a clue. The one in particular (revealing my truly dismal photographic abilities) looks far more recent than the others- and is surprisingly unused... Of a very nicely done horse's head. The other drawer-o-bowls are all reed-stem pipes and generally 1800's (late- and into early 20th c. too) I offered a very long PDF article I'd found on the bottle site concerning a speckled pottery/slip pig... there are references 2-3 hundred (yikes) pages in - which you can scroll until you see pictures) concerning reed pipe bowls- and pics of what they'd look like outfitted with said reed. They were made many places/states east of the Mississippi, though I'm no expert. Anyhoo, here are the pics (such as they are) ;) Yakker

View attachment 1094504 View attachment 1094505 View attachment 1094506

View attachment 1094507

added for your convenience- https://www.tn.gov/environment/docs/...eries_2011.pdf

Hey Yakker,Your horse head piece/pipe was made in Germany 1930's,called a cracker Jack pipe.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/169096675/cracker-jacks-bubble-pipe-very-small-3
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions