yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having looked up these things, there doesn't seem to be a forum for such things. They mostly land here as people find them thinking they're maybe worked N.A. stone- only to find that they're actually gun flints! Maybe they should be in the Rev. War forum... But not in 'Relics'- as they're not detected by metal detecting. (Maybe there should be an 'American Mudlarking' forum here...?

I went back up the Maryland to check on my house (still for sale), and went out to one of my favorite spots- which has options for long walks and very short 'look-see's'. Having just twisted the he!! out of my ankle, I opted for the nearest spot, hoping something might have washed out or in while I was in VA. I didn't see an flakes or points, but after a cold and windy search, I did find a nice little- and nearly exhausted French gun flint! So here it is, along with my growing collection of these cool little items! Thanks for looking- and HH all Yakker

018.jpg 019.jpg

from a hunt just before I moved- very weathered...

020.jpg 022.jpg

and the rest...

0322141619.jpg 0322141620.jpg

Cheers ;)

Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great flint collections guy's ! :headbang: I might have 4 or 5 I have stumbled upon in Jersey , lost count , Always a Welcome find for sure .

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TK and CDM- thanks! TK- I'm looking at the one in your frame- 2nd from left, bottom row. It looks a bit like one of mine, and because the material was so unusual, I kind of dismissed it as one of those 'I don't know what the heck it is' things. In my pics- it's in the group photo at about 1 o'clock. Pyramid-shaped, but grey/blue/white. Not at all like the grey English flints- or the French honey-colored ones. It's been a head-scratcher for me. (nice collection, BTW!!)Yakker

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TK and CDM- thanks! TK- I'm looking at the one in your frame- 2nd from left, bottom row. It looks a bit like one of mine, and because the material was so unusual, I kind of dismissed it as one of those 'I don't know what the heck it is' things. In my pics- it's in the group photo at about 1 o'clock. Pyramid-shaped, but grey/blue/white. Not at all like the grey English flints- or the French honey-colored ones. It's been a head-scratcher for me. (nice collection, BTW!!)Yakker
My shot turned out dark didn't it,:laughing7: anyway here's the one you speak of looks better with some light on it. I believe yours is a gun flint as well,I'd would put it with them if it was me.

Attachments

• DSCN3115.JPG
    DSCN3115.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • DSCN3116.JPG
    DSCN3116.JPG
    953.5 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oops- didn't I say 2nd from left-- it was a blue/grey pyramid-shaped piece, next to a little scrap of something on the side where the other artifacts are... I think you got the one on the right? Yak

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oops- didn't I say 2nd from left-- it was a blue/grey pyramid-shaped piece, next to a little scrap of something on the side where the other artifacts are... I think you got the one on the right? Yak
:laughing7: You did,& I'm back & forth from site to site on the net this morning.Yes that one for sure is in your hand & is just like mine Yakker.

Attachments

• DSCN3118.JPG
    DSCN3118.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
  • DSCN3117.JPG
    DSCN3117.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 123

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking Gun Flints guys. Here's a few I have. Not personal finds though. These are all from the same site in upper New York. The honey colored ones are French and the darker ones are English.

Attachments

• DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet flints Grim! Thanks ;)

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more of those types blue/grey flints I've found on these mixed colonial/native American sites.And some chunks of other flints.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 81

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
would those poor quality flints be native made?.....certainly American, but what did Indians do for new flints if they couldn't or didn't trade for them?

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes unclemac, I would consider them likely native made. And could also be from colonials as well that had to do what they could in times of need. As the sites I hunt like this are stretched out along the river systems here. And being some of the first to settle I'm sure they might had needed some in between shipments.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool! Thanks guys for sharing the pics of them because I would never had known what they were or looked like. I love this forum and have learned so much in the last year and a half I've been on here. Thanks again! HH

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found a few here in N GA.

Attachments

• SDC11476.JPG
    SDC11476.JPG
    710.4 KB · Views: 98

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only blue ones I have ever found have been on sites with Native American artifacts.. And usually have a kind of pyramid or pillow shape

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So with gun technology constantly changing....what is the date range for gun flints, when would we expect them to disappear from the record.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most part around the time of the introduction of percussion caps just before the Civil War

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions