yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem, perhaps arises because we use a term for artifacts- archaeology and another for humans- anthropology. These are the kinds of dates they're talking about, I think. Granted, it makes it a bit confusing for folks like us who understand our Paleo from our Archaic-- when they're talking about Paleolithic and Neolithic homo sapiens. What with this new Paleo diet craze, the terms are being thrown around (and the foods being assigned 'Paleo' are very, very modern and bear little if any resemblance to the diet of the true Paleolithic human). Yakker

In the pre-history of mankind, there are two important periods, the Paleolithic (Old Stone Age) Era and the Neolithic (New Stone Age) era. Characteristics of the Paleolithic Era (2,000,000 to 10/9,000 BC): 1) name from the type of primitive stone tools used by early men and women; 2) Homo sapiens appeared about 200,000 year ago; 3) their migration out of Africa to Australia and the Americas (32,000-13,000 BC) was made possible by an Ice Age, which created land bridges; 4) Paleolithic lifestyle was a result of their relationship to nature. They were nomadic hunters, gatherers, and fishers; they did not produce their own food and they lived precariously as peoples completely dependent on their environment. Discoveries include the use of fire for light, heat, and cooking; the invention of stone weapons and tools such as daggers, spear points, axes, choppers, and scrapers; the use of spoken language for communication and the preservation of culture; and religious rituals; and probably the invention of primitive social, political, and economic institutions. Shelters and clothing were made from animal skins and plants. Works of art, ranging from decorated tools and weapons to small (fertility?) figures like the Venus of Willendorf

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the Paleo diet as being modern. I was assuming they were referring to when and before Neanderthal was bred out. I hunt and harvest myself and am sure that they were more adept in the wild then me. I am sure when a kill was made or scavenged they fed right then till they were full. But once full I would think if you had meat left over you would carry it to shelter and if fire was possible prepare it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I do not see them feeding on all fours or like from a feeding trough as they suggest in their title and article. :dontknow: I see them recognizing the vital protein from the organs first. I do not know. No meat then fresh shoots or grasses supplemented and kept you alive.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
and those lucky enough to inhabit the sea shore and a wealth of calories available....and when you look up to the far north, sea mammals almost to an exclusivity.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my motto is "eat it before it eats you"

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but pigs do not waste anything,and pretty sure neanderthals were not breed out,just evolved.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
that is an interesting thought, i see it more like they were replaced by an invasive species....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no doubt early man was more concerned about a full belly than table etiquette and am sure he scavenged but theses biologist assessment seems a little extreme to me.

Early Humans Ate Like Pigs (Literally)

Considering some of the things that pass for food these days, I don't doubt that.
and things really haven't changed.

Bird's nest soup. ? yea bird poop is healthy :tongue3:
coffee from elephants poop.
( "hmmm that elephant ate my coffee beans,
I'm gonna follow him around & get them back"
)
truffles ?
ambergris (whale vomit)
Casu Marzu
Kiviak
Baby Mice wine

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MMMmmm Casu marzu-- my favorite. But I wouldn't include truffles- as they're just a smelly tuber located by pigs and dogs. And ambergris is used in the perfume industry (and don't get me going on all the wack-a-do stuff they use to create Very high-end 'scents'!)

But we eat far worse things, generally speaking, these days than we ever did in history. Consider this alone: wheat fields are typically doused w/ Roundup while fields are still bearing wheat-- to kill and 'even out' the various stages of growth-as well as to make the wheat sprout even more (last gasp at reproduction) resulting in an evenly matured yield- and more wheat. Of course, this gets into bread...And is it surprising that more people have a problem w/ wheat now than they ever did before? Sheesh! The things 'we' do w/o fully understanding the end result is mind-boggling. I LOVE FARMERS. But I don't like all the gymnastics they've had to go through just to turn a profit in this day and age of HUGE industrial farming. Pigs. Hmph. I love pigs.

This is a very interesting topic to have started. Thanks TNmountains ;) Yakker (I'm a 35-year veteran of the culinary industry and I slept at Holiday Inn Express last night!)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
....and who ever picked up a piece of whale snot and said..."wow! i need to USE this!"....how does stuff like that happen anyway.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
this article sort of wants to say something a little different....

Mystery of the grave by the Mazury lake solved | News | Science & Scholarship in Poland

the key element here being....The identity of people buried in the cemetery remained a mystery. Members of the Corded Ware culture community did not consume freshwater animals - their activities did not include fishing, as demonstrated by isotopic analyses of the bones found in other parts of Europe.

it seems to me folk eat what is available to them, easy to gather, and palatable, but what do I know....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and who ever picked up a piece of whale snot and said..."wow! i need to USE this!"....how does stuff like that happen anyway.

My thoughts Exactly.

I could never had those type of munchies

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other side of the coin I was cleaning a deer a few nights ago. It was very fat inside. I cut out the natural venison fat because of the taste. It had covered my hands and knifes. It was like a cold cream that cold water would not wash off. I had to get hot water off the wood stove(cabin). Now I can imagine early man if not eating this using it to protect his skin. Guess my point being is I am sure they tried everything but also knew much. Piggy like not so much.

Jamie DNA says the Neanderthal was breed out by homo sapiens "Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters. A team of scientists comparing the full genomes of the two species concluded that most Europeans and Asians have between 1 to 4 percent Neanderthal DNA. Indigenous sub-Saharan Africans have no Neanderthal DNA because their ancestors did not migrate through Eurasia.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks tn,i was just kidding though,some people still act like them though

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other side of the coin I was cleaning a deer a few nights ago. It was very fat inside. I cut out the natural venison fat because of the taste. It had covered my hands and knifes. It was like a cold cream that cold water would not wash off. I had to get hot water off the wood stove(cabin). Now I can imagine early man if not eating this using it to protect his skin. Guess my point being is I am sure they tried everything but also knew much. Piggy like not so much.

Jamie DNA says the Neanderthal was breed out by homo sapiens "Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters. A team of scientists comparing the full genomes of the two species concluded that most Europeans and Asians have between 1 to 4 percent Neanderthal DNA. Indigenous sub-Saharan Africans have no Neanderthal DNA because their ancestors did not migrate through Eurasia.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

Y'know... you could make soap outta that deer fat- rendered... perhaps you know someone of the female persuasion that might be interested. Yak

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread