First point found in a creek!

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday while searching a creek in upstate South Carolina. Still trying to ID it. Maybe Guilford- Yuma? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419021262.367760.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419021828.152750.jpg

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found numerous points in dirt and rocky creeks in Texas. One of my college students was just outside San Antonio, up a dry rocky creek and found a beutiful Obsidian point that was not damaged. Incredible workmanship, delicate. Should not have been there, but it was. Lots of points out there so just keep looking...

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a nice one! I'm not sure of the type but there's several folks here from SC and will let you know more about it. By the way, I hunt only in creeks and find lots of stuff so keep on looking you will more than likely find tons more!

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find! Point type is a Yuma Guilford.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice point,& Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup: I think SC,NC,& VA. tend to have a lot of the same type points not only in style but material as well.Just because there's lines on maps today that separate the states back then the Native's probably could careless as there weren't any thing like that.Sure they had there different territories but they weren't imaginary lines called states.I think people sometimes get caught up in the states thing to much instead of looking at the real picture & how it was then.Sure nameing the state it was found helps with what to exspect the finds to look like but don't mean they can't be found just across those imaginary lines of today.Just like the one you have in your hand I've found quite a few here on the coast of NC.All that said your off to a good start of your own type collection so keep looking.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good there.
They have been removing the dams in the rivers up here to help with the fish migration in the streams again.
I was spying on an old area with lots of history. the water quality was great and the river was cleaning itself up.
Heavy spring rains are washing all the trash and sediment away. Time to get out the fishing waders.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful little find! Just started creek searching this year myself. And my 3 best finds of the year came from a creek. I'm in piedmont NC.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good find neighbor, nice point!! The creeks around my house are not great for hunting, you must be north of me. Tony

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice quartz point and it looks perfect. Must of not been in the water long due to not much staining on it. Its hard to find a whole quartz point here that looks like that one. real nice

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with SCrocks on the type. Great find. Beautiful example and more refined than is normally found for that type in your parts, especially being in quartz. That knapper knew his stuff!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed! That's a beauty! Great find, WELCOME, and for a better idea of what to find and where, it's better to find/use a map of regions in which artifacts have been found. They spread over all sorts of artificial boundaries and show more of a technology/style and lithic movement rather than anything modern cartography could explain. I really like that point- that was a nice little prize! :icon_thumright: Yakker

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and a cold time of year for creek hunting. I like it nice quartz point. Looks about the right size for an atalatl.
Welcome to t-net !

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice creek find, congrats...

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet I love the creek hunting boss nice pic !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread