end of road find

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
:) I,VE BEEN HUNTIN THIS NEW ROAD SITEAND ONE OF THE WORKERS TOLD ME TODAY THIS IS THE END OF THE ROAD :'( THEN LOW AND BEHOLD IT STARTED RAINING HARD, A CLOUD BURST THEN I SAW SUMTHIN STICKIN OUT OF THE DIRT ,I ALMOST CRAPPED MYSELF A REALLY NICE CORN GRINDER WITH WITH WONDERFUL DETAIL TWO SMOOTH NOTCHES THAT FIT MY HAND LIKE THE INDIAN HAD MADE IT FOR ME !! THE OTHER TWO ARE PAST FINDS MY BIGGEST AND SMALLEST HOPE YOU ENJOY OHIORIVER HUNTER

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hey there, Ohi-hunter!

Just wondering if you have found any anvil stones down where you are? I have a couple smaller, flattened stones, that are more commonly referred to as nutting stones. These have a depression on each side.

What I refer to as an anvil stone is more like a workbench of sorts. The one I found on the banks of the mighty Ohio is about the size and shape of a large loaf of bread. It weighs about 25 lbs. It has 2 working sides. Both of the work surfaces have multiple depressions. Some are smooth and round, and some are conical, with some having angular lines or gouges in them. I have had trouble finding examples on the net. The only other place I have seen any, was when I went down to Fort Boonesboro.

I assume that it was used at a long term campsite or village. I also figure that it is probably an implement that would be more exclusive to a river site, such as the Ohio, because of the fact that most points were manufactured from water worn flint nodules, that are found in the river.

Just looking for any input you might have on these ideas.

Thanks!................HH..........And; Nice finds!

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
zeawolf said:
Nice finds. Just one thing...don't type in all caps...It's considered shouting.
Hope to see more of your finds!
~Z~
Thanks for info. I,m new on a computer. Ican,t type well either. I,m just an old country boy in the foothills of the appalachian mountains in the Ohio Valley. My 11 yr. old son had to show me how to turn it on. lol Looks like I,ll be hittin a new site tomorrow across river in bracken co. ky. orh p. s. MAYBE I WAS EXCITED SO I WAS SHOUTIN !! I wouldn.t want a moniter to get on me though. them there lizards would eat a man. lol hope i have more new finds soon

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Nice finds ORH,No more shoutin Or they will Don Imus your ass.lol.I didn't even know you could shout .I'm the one finger wonder so I can definitely relate about your computer skills.That grinder is what I would call a pestile I have found only one while I lived in Illinois.Mine is about the same size but not as pointed on the handle.............Good luck........JAY

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
jbl04410 said:
Nice finds ORH,No more shoutin Or they will Don Imus your ass.lol.I didn't even know you could shout .I'm the one finger wonder so I can definitely relate about your computer skills.That grinder is what I would call a pestile I have found only one while I lived in Illinois.Mine is about the same size but not as pointed on the handle.............Good luck........JAY
hey jay i,m a one finger man too! people say i talk to loud but i don.t hear well either or i just don,t pay attention. i.ve called it a pestile too. i hunted a site i,ve been dieing to get into right below a mound along river .i found nothing. but it had all ready been walked . i,ll try to keep it down. not much to shout about today orh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread