Pottery in the woods

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A family member bought some property a few years ago so I decided to do some exploring in the woods this morning. While I was out I noticed a small mound of dirt and after looking closer I realized that it was covered in pottery shards. I can't believe I haven't seen this before.

The mound is only a couple of feet high and sits at the bottom of a steep hill where trash has been dumped for I would say at least the last 50 years. What do you think it could be? A heap of Native American trash? A pile of dirt someone dumped that just so happened to have pottery? I don't know a lot about the way the natives actually lived so I don't have any idea what this would actually be.

After finding this, I began to look around for other evidence. I noticed that there is a berm that forms a semicircle off of a section of this hill side. There is a break in the berm in the middle of it where you can walk through. Based on the trees that are growing out of this I would say it is at least 50 years old as well. I tried to take a panorama but it is hard to see.

So there is a steep hill that trash has been dumped over for the last 50 years. A small mound of dirt littered with pottery shards and a hundred yard, or so, long berm forming a semicircle up against this hill. The small mound is outside of the berm. Any thoughts? Are the two related? Would the natives have made a berm like structure or is it most likely modern?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420431766.814378.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420431785.063458.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420431796.030298.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420431815.468079.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420431829.947383.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420431864.513342.jpg

Upvote 0

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Maine bone won't keep more than 100yrs.Some are found in shell middens and special soil conditions with high levels of calcium.I do a lot of digging but I can honestly say I don't believe I've ever been into a burial site.I have never came across a cluster of artifacts usually associated with such a site..mjm...I guess as long as you are an archeologist its OK because you are looking for answers.Moorehead excavated many many burial sites here in Maine....mjm

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the chunks of native pottery I have found are 1/4th of an inch thick or more..... how about these?

These pieces are anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 inch. There is one piece that seems almost paper thin. Either that or it's a piece of bark or something.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These pieces are anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 inch. There is one piece that seems almost paper thin. Either that or it's a piece of bark or something.

That's normal BobGuy since they used different types of pots and bowls for all kinds of things just like we do today. You made an awesome find and like I said before if I were you i would be out there sifting and looking for more stuffs ;-) Good luck and thanks for sharing with us!

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's normal BobGuy since they used different types of pots and bowls for all kinds of things just like we do today. You made an awesome find and like I said before if I were you i would be out there sifting and looking for more stuffs ;-) Good luck and thanks for sharing with us!

I would be out there right now if the ground wasn't frozen solid with a 10 degree wind chill! :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread