✅ SOLVED Found this awesome piece today walking the creeks. Never seen a piece like it.

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys. Its been a long time since I have been on Tnet but I need help from some experts out there. I was doing some arrowhead hunting today in a creek here in WV where I have found many points over the years. It was freezing cold and things weren't going all that well. I had only found some broke pieces and some flakes but I came across this piece and almost didn't pick it up because it looked to weird to be anything. At first I thought it was some kind of concrete piece but after I picked it up I realized that it was much more than that. I have know Idea what kind of rock it is but this sucker is the size of your palm and you can tell it is something special. I am gonna take it to an archaeologist in the morning but I thought I would post it here and see if anyone had ever seen something like this. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    618.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    692.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    547.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    623.7 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that is the the head of a screw from Fred Flintstones tool box...and a Phillips at that!

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that is the the head of a screw from Fred Flintstones tool box...and a Phillips at that!

Now you went and started it,,,,,,,,,
I`m guessing a button off of a coat,,,that belonged to one of those ancient giants I`ve been hearing about.
OK, so I dont know,,,but it is pretty cool. I`m looking forward to hearing what it really is.

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is something off the wall for sure.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting...kinda looks like one of those round bread things, what ever they're called? Yeah, wonder what it is, hope someone knows?

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
is it metal?

No it is stone. Under a magnifier it reminds me of coral like rock. I have no idea. I used my pinpointer to check for metal. No indication of metal at all.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossilized Phillip's head mushroom??????

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. It could be a finial to an old stone fence post.

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I just got back from seeing a State certified tribal leader and the Chief Archaeologist for the state. Both of these men are amazed at the piece. Both of them got really big smiles on their faces and both replied the same way. (I have never seen anything like this) they said. Both men took dozens of pictures and asked if they could get back to me. The Arche told me he wasn't sure if it was prehistoric or historic was his reply. I continued to ask him what I should do and he said he was gonna contact some other folks and get back to me. The tribal elder told me that he thought it was a very significant find and not to let it out of my hands. He also was going to contact people and get back to me. They all have the same dumbfounded look on their faces but their smiles told me all I need to know. I thank you all for chiming in and as soon as I find something else out I will let you know. The Arche did ask me if I would let a geologist examine it if he could arrange it. So as far as I know right now is as much as I knew before. I do know that the pictures do this piece no justice. Until you hold this piece in your hands you really cant get a grasp on how special this could be.I guess right now it is just a waiting game. I may try and get a video of the piece to give you all a better understanding of size and shape. I still haven
t weighed the thing yet either but I will try and get that done as well. Thanks for all the thought and comments.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they say if they thought it was native american?Maybe colonial?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
think old fashioned survey land marker maybe? --colonial era

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neither was sure. Both was certain it was a significant find. The Arche was more vague than the elder. The land marker come up as well but neither could come to a certain answer at this time.

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TAAAH DAAAH!
bede2691 gets da ceegar!
We find these occasionally in old dump grounds.

Jess B.

Thanks,,,, can someone tell me about these toppers. I cant access the link for some reason.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew I'd seen that kinda thing before and just couldn't remember on what forum. GOOD JOB! Yakker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions