Hammer Stone?? Dentate Stamp??

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Not sure if these are anything. The round stone has a smooth-ish side and a rough-ish side that I tried to show in the pictures, I'm expecting it to be just a rock but wanted to make sure. The second one I think could possibly be a dentate stamp, but my guide describes it as a flake tool. Since this isn't a flake, I'm not sure. Also not sure if they would have used quartz for a dentate stamp. As always, thanks in advance for the help, looking forward to hearing what you guys think.
20150111_191039.jpg 20150111_191257.jpg 20150111_191335.jpg 20150111_191646.jpg 20150111_191753.jpg 20150111_191743.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Personally, I wouldn't toss the smooth round stone until I had a knowledgeable local inspect it. I know I'm the odd man out, and probably rightfully so. However, I would hate for anyone to toss an artifact out due to opinions formed on not such a great photo. No offense... Any one. Keep that piece around the yard... My advice. Don't try to skip it across a pond. Lol!

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I believe both are natural. Although I would have carried the round one home too.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rock, what's the best way to go about doing that?

no, no, no. Don't do that! There are no geodes like that in Ma. or RI. If you look at the "game stone" section of Hoffman's guide, who knows, maybe? I would hang onto it for that reason. So, if it is, last thing you want to do is take a hammer to it. And, as I said, there are no geodes of that sort in our region anyway. Follow NC field hunter's advice above!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally, I wouldn't toss the smooth round stone until I had a knowledgeable local inspect it. I know I'm the odd man out, and probably rightfully so. However, I would hate for anyone to toss an artifact out due to opinions formed on not such a great photo. No offense... Any one. Keep that piece around the yard... My advice. Don't try to skip it across a pond. Lol!

Yep. x2.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice dentate stamp, I see what you're saying. Without ever having seen some of the artifacts that you're posting, you could see how someone like myself could make these associations. I'm learning, and it looks like I need to pick up another book haha.

Well, it is a good one. In fact, Wilbur's book is the best book out there for it's illustrations showing how the tools were used, how made, how hafted, etc. In that aspect, there is no better book for the New England region. Hoffman's guide for artifact types, Boudreau's typology for point types, and Wilbur's book for reconstructing how all the tools were used....

New England Indians (Illustrated Living History Series): C. Keith Wilbur: 9781564409935: Amazon.com: Books

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright well I cracked it open and-haha just kidding. Maybe I'll take it down to the Robbins museum and see what they think of it. And Charl, thanks for the book recommendation, anytime you think of one that might do me some good let me know! Thanks to everyone who responded, if I find out anything cool about the rocks I'll let everyone know. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions