Nap flakes and anthills

JC1

Jan 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to show a couple pictures of nap flakes in anthills out here in the Great Basin. It's just incredible the amount of waste/nap flakes you see all over the ground. This is just one anthill, I could take you to a hundred of these in one afternoon. What amazes me is the sheer amount of this material. These cultures must have been working on stone tools for hundreds and thousands of years. Think about how much time it would take to nap all those flakes, and then times that by 1000, and then think about how much time it would take for the ants to gather it up in these anthills. We deal with time frames that are almost incomprehensible. 1 12.jpg 2 16.jpg

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man- I'm looking at that laughing- 'cause I know I'd be on my hands and knees checking to see if there's something whole and very very small... Really looking forward to seeing what you figure out- and come up with out there-
Yakker

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only you could train them to bring up only whole arrowheads ...... Inconceivable!

--Guy
You keep saying that word; I do not think it means what you think it means.....

OP
OP
J

JC1

Jan 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only you could train them to bring up only whole arrowheads ...... Inconceivable!

--Guy
You keep saying that word; I do not think it means what you think it means.....

I wanna train a dog to find arrowheads and antler sheds. That would keep you busy all year long. Set up a lawn chair, pour a drink, and send the dog out. I think I just had a million dollar idea!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all periods in the fields I hunt. I have discovered that a lot of those small flakes are actually Mississippian points mixed in. They are usually as small as
.25 to 1 inch in length and look like a flake but worked on both sides. If you have that period in your area you might want to have a closer look.

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the ants are bringing the smallest stuff out of the ground. They are clearing the tunnels and nursery areas. The big stuff is under ground still. DIG DIG DIG.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the same type of ant hills up here, and I have found beads on and around these ant hills. So you may want to check them out carefully, especially the ones near where they would have built their lean-to's or tepee's.

Folder #1 001.JPG

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those harvester ants aren't bringing that up from underground. They actually go out and forage for it...they bring it back to the mound from as far as 150 yards. They do the same with gems and heavy metals. If you have a mound near your home, try putting a few crystals of broken colored glass about 5' from the mound. It will be on the mound in a few hours.
Jim

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really?(!) Never would have guessed that... go figure Yak

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nope, me either. Fire ants do the opposite. They build the mound with the waste from underground. Thats why they are different colors. The ghost crabs do the same thing. I found some great sharks teeth outside their holes. Whoda thunk,,,,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread