IMG_7164.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quite a piece of history you got there.

The shaft appears to be hand shaped, and the point looks
to made of carefully knapped chert, and secured with
sinew and hide glue.

The fletching looks like aged turkey feathers, had tied and
the ends secured with hide glue. The nock appears to be made
of carved bone.

Making an complete arrow like that requires a great deal of skill,
and very few are left today that even know how to do it. What you
have there is most likely very old.

Were it mine I would take it to the local Univ. and ask
one of the Archeology prof's to have a look at it. They
should be able to give you an approx. age, plus the
tribe that it came from.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This could be the real deal or this could be a reproduction. The cub scouts where I live buy authentic hand made arrows and give them out every year to all that reach and go through the the order of the arrow ritual to become a boy scout.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
they sell those at Wall Drug in South Dakota among other places, I have a couple myself....not all that expensive either.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it I have one but not near as nice as that one/.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st pics 009.JPG Undertaker I hate to be the one to tell you this but that is an arrow that was made by me. The point is Arkansas novaculite with animal hide glue and whitetail sinew and turkey feathers that were cut down and burned with a lighter. The shaft is a cedar shaft and the feathers are tied on with sinew at a spiral twist. There has been a coat of wax and other things to antique it. I sell them for $25 ea. I have been making and selling them for over 30 years and I hope you did not get taken. One thing to think about is sinew and feathers will not last very long, unless in a controlled space. 1st pics 007.JPG One thing for sure is that I know my own work.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i gotta take some pix of mine and see if they are yours!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it when a story comes together! :notworthy: :laughing7:
Just think, what would the odds be, an estate picker would happen to pick, another members' work? :icon_scratch:
Ya'll oughta play the lotto today! :laughing7:
Thanks for an enjoyable read, and hope there's more of the story(s), to come..... 8-)

ateam.jpg

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Well when I purchased this arrow I didn't think it was truly authentic so I'm not at all shocked. I payed $12.50 for it and figured at that price it probably wasn't real. Just thought it would look good in my table display case. I did think how could someone put that much time into making one of these and sell them so cheap.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But at least you're guaranteed a very well-made arrow- Monster does really fine work! :icon_thumright: Yakker

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:

Attachments

• DSC06643.JPG
    DSC06643.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
I see this arrow has 23 bids and is selling for over $600.00. How can you tell authentic from repro. Is there a way ?

Attachments

• $_12.jpg
    $_12.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Ebay all categories, search number 231463980947. I do see where most bids are by two different people. Guess it was a museum artifact although most museums do have some reproduction artifacts. This guy does have a lot of cool stuff and a good reputation for selling authentics.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
go to the guys "feedback" profile and you will see he sells repros as reals.

eBay Feedback Profile for generallee292

you can catch these guys sometimes buying honestly sold new stuff....roughing them up and then selling them as artifacts....what you do is watch their buying feed back and see what it is that they buy and who from....then you can go to their "store" and see these same things a few months after sold as ex-museum pieces.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at some of the arrows this guy is selling on E-bay and I have some I'll sell you or anyone, that are the same for 1/3rd the price that they are selling for:laughing7: I promise you if it has spiral work of sinew and the feathers are in that good of shape it is a fake, I can look at the flaking and tell it looks like my work, the way the sinew is put on tells me this, also the way the notch is made. I feel bad that someone is going to get taken for a lot of money for something that looks just like something I made.:BangHead: I may have to report this to e-bay because this is just not right. I did report this 2/1/15

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
do report him...i have done so in the past too. funny thing...ebay has made it HARDER to catch these guys by taking down sales pictures or making them "private".

JRedHorse

Feb 1, 2015
from NH relocating to FL summer 2015
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector but will be upgrading when I hit FL.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Purchased this arrow a while back. Thought it would look good in my display. Don't know much about it but it was priced to sell and looks hand made with some good workmanship.

There is one sure fire way of determining if it is a modern knock off but it would involve untying any portion of the sinew wrapping, just enough to touch a lighter flame off on the sinew end, if it "balls up" and melts then it is an artificial sinew, if it burns to ash and smells like hair burning then it is real animal sinew.

I still make our Tribes arrows for ceremonies and I see a few red flags on your find,

1) The feather fletching's would have long ago been rotted off or consumed by insects.

2) the shaft appears to be "Carved" we draw our arrow shafts through sharpened holes in a flat piece of bone which gets them round and we wouldn't have, slice marks in the shafts, our arrows are a sense of pride as well.

3) I see no evidence of a blood groove in the shaft, these are cut into one or two sides of the entire shaft so that when it enters flesh the quarry will bleed out quicker. (the blood grooves are gouged in place using the same bone tool),picture a very sharp "Pac Man" shaped hole cut through a flat bone, we draw the reed or branch through this and the hanging point (Pac mans mouth) cuts the groove as we form the shaft.

There are many more steps but you get the picture.

I'll be happy to answer any Native American questions on this forum if I can, Be Well, J. Red Horse

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JRedHorse,

Thanks for the precise response.....it explains it very well for those who are not aware of what to look for.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread