would this be considered a medium or large triangle point?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
006.JPG I am having trouble identifying some stuff and this is one of them.I found it here in V.a.I am thinking either a Caraway,"being a small to medium size point that is found in the Eastern states" , or a Occaneechee which is a Large size triangle but mostly found in N.C.It resembles some other triangles like a Levanna or a Madison,but they are North eastern finds?As you can see I am having a little trouble here,any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not aimed at you, but in my opinion to many people want to give everything a name. Take your Triangle Point as an example. That type of Point is found in just about every state in America and will have a different name in most of them. Why not just simplify it and call it what it is? It's a Triangle Point, plain and simple. Here in my area alone I have Madisons, Hamiltons, Levannas, Ft Ancient, Ft Ancient Serrated, Concave Base, Convex Base, Eared Base, etc. It can be very confusing for a new collector and I have been collecting for 50 years and it still boggles my mind sometimes.

Also, that is one killer Triangle. Looks very thin too. Awesome find. Most of those will have the delicate tip missing.

Check out this link. It will help you if you want a name for it.

Projectilepoints

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking triangle. Many different types that is for sure. I get them confused also.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I would call your Triangle Medium to large, compared to what we have up here. This one here I wouldn't consider small, and it is barely over an inch. I have them half this size.
DSCN3677.jpg

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that is a killer triangle. The first point I found was a nice, well made thin triangle about the same size as yours and I still have no Idea what it is, other than a nice triangle. I think it is safe to say your piece, and mine, are probably both Woodland pieces. In the link Reaper left they show Madisons found all over the eastern states, north and south. The Levanna is a larger triangle, and thought to be older than the Madison. As you well know by now typing VA pieces, and triangles especially, can be difficult at best. I think Reaper made a good point in his post above, but it is nice to have an "idea" of the age of a find. Good luck, H.H.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A True Arrowhead, not a knife, scraper or spear point. These are the last types made by the Native American Indians. These were being used along about the time "white" men introduced black powder and guns to the Americas. Here in SW Ohio, we know them as Madison points. I have never found one that big, they are fragile and usually broken (field finds). That is SWEET, Congrats!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful points, yours and Quito's both.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there- Grimm makes a good point, and I've made it too in the past- as I scratch my head trying to figure out won triangle or whatever from the next. I must say, that's a beauty. I've found a pretty good number of triangles- some with ground bases, some nearly perfect equilateral triangles- but I have not found one that big. Mine were 1.5" and less. And the smaller, the more likely they were to be a true arrowhead. Many larger ones were used as knives- at least in my experience. Here's my tri-frame. Not one over 1 3/4 " Thanks for the show ;) Yakker

0304140944.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice colors on those yakker

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not aimed at you, but in my opinion to many people want to give everything a name. Take your Triangle Point as an example. That type of Point is found in just about every state in America and will have a different name in most of them. Why not just simplify it and call it what it is? It's a Triangle Point, plain and simple. Here in my area alone I have Madisons, Hamiltons, Levannas, Ft Ancient, Ft Ancient Serrated, Concave Base, Convex Base, Eared Base, etc. It can be very confusing for a new collector and I have been collecting for 50 years and it still boggles my mind sometimes.

Also, that is one killer Triangle. Looks very thin too. Awesome find. Most of those will have the delicate tip missing.

Check out this link. It will help you if you want a name for it.

Projectilepoints
Thanks Reaper,I know what you mean now, in all simplicity it just is what it is.I have only been collecting for about two years and I am really getting into.I just always thought that typing pieces was part of collecting,but now I guess its a little different when it comes to pieces like triangle points.I just got this book and it raised the question to me.Check it out if you don't already have it,its a pretty good one 004.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call your Triangle Medium to large, compared to what we have up here. This one here I wouldn't consider small, and it is barely over an inch. I have them half this size.
DSCN3677.jpg
Man that's a nice one!Wish I had it to sit next to this one.They would make a good pair:)

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that is a killer triangle. The first point I found was a nice, well made thin triangle about the same size as yours and I still have no Idea what it is, other than a nice triangle. I think it is safe to say your piece, and mine, are probably both Woodland pieces. In the link Reaper left they show Madisons found all over the eastern states, north and south. The Levanna is a larger triangle, and thought to be older than the Madison. As you well know by now typing VA pieces, and triangles especially, can be difficult at best. I think Reaper made a good point in his post above, but it is nice to have an "idea" of the age of a find. Good luck, H.H.
Thanks Viking,you just answered another question I had,wasn't sure if it is woodland or Mississppian period.that's good news.Thanks

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A True Arrowhead, not a knife, scraper or spear point. These are the last types made by the Native American Indians. These were being used along about the time "white" men introduced black powder and guns to the Americas. Here in SW Ohio, we know them as Madison points. I have never found one that big, they are fragile and usually broken (field finds). That is SWEET, Congrats!
Thanks,I found this one in a creek on a gravel bar,probably why I got lucky the whole thing was there.I was hounddoggin and there it was,,I couldn't believe it at first.one of them moments I have to saver because it just hasn't been happening for me here lately.i have been looking but man the stuff is hard to find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there- Grimm makes a good point, and I've made it too in the past- as I scratch my head trying to figure out won triangle or whatever from the next. I must say, that's a beauty. I've found a pretty good number of triangles- some with ground bases, some nearly perfect equilateral triangles- but I have not found one that big. Mine were 1.5" and less. And the smaller, the more likely they were to be a true arrowhead. Many larger ones were used as knives- at least in my experience. Here's my tri-frame. Not one over 1 3/4 " Thanks for the show ;) Yakker

View attachment 1110876
Man Yakker,you found allot of them!Nice collection

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Guys for the help!joe

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually find them and put them away till I run into a dry spell then try to type them. I believe the size of yours will be Woodland. The small points are Mississippian an inch or smaller. Hamilton would be the only exception.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually find them and put them away till I run into a dry spell then try to type them. I believe the size of yours will be Woodland. The small points are Mississippian an inch or smaller. Hamilton would be the only exception.
My dry spell has been here for awhile now.Just terrible conditions everywhere around here.I pretty much picked my one cut over clean,the creeks are filled with leaves ,and all the farmers around here planted nothing but soy beans last year.I am hoping they turn the fields this year.That sure is a nice piece you found not to long ago.That would have made my month for sure.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a flood a few weeks ago that washed all of the creeks real good. But most of the warm days haven't been on my days off. I just know nobody has checked the creeks due to the cold. Probably all waiting on me just laying there. Got me some waterproof thick pants today. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread