Technically a find...

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But not the way I was hoping to come across my first... Was doing a weekly inspection on an old farm house that the park owns, and I see this guy sitting on the back of a shelf out of the corner of my eye...

IMG_20150125_152430.jpg

I have yet to find a hammer or an axe of my own, but it was still pretty awesome to hold in my hands...

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, the informed eye is an indispensable detector,and a nice full groove axe by whatever means. Good luck on your first out of the ground axe also!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it had to be in a park. Cant even have a look around.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had a better camera on my phone... and or I should have taken more pics. But I'm pretty sure it is a hammer - very round and even shows some "wear" on both ends. It was almost certainly found by the family that sold the property to the park about 10 years ago. They owned and farmed/ranched that piece of land for over 100 years. I've always kept an eye out for artifacts, and even did some extra walking on my days off after the flood, hoping that may have uncovered something for us, but I haven't come across anything. I was at a different job at the time (seasonal positions) but right after the flood, they were working on repairing part of the road that washed away, and they found a skull and other human bones. DNA/carbon testing told them it wasn't modern, and I haven't been able to get a straight answer as to what happened to it after that. Still, that tells me that I'm sure if I spent enough time looking, I could come up with something - granted it would belong to the park, but it would still be cool to find.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice,its always more personal to find something where it was originally lost,'but still' I know I would like to have it.i haven't found any big tools yet either.I found my first and only gorget in a similar fashion.I was going through a ciggare box under my grandads bed after he passed away and there it was.Nice find!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find! The place appears to have great potential for more finds.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice can't tell for sure though.Try a picture of the business end.Does it have a bit end or is it flat? Either way nice!....mjm

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get some more pics tomorrow...

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so it wasn't tomorrow... but here they are.

IMG_20150131_170619.jpg IMG_20150131_170634.jpg

Kinda hard to see, but those are the wear/damage on both sides of the hammer stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread