kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago as a boy i used to hunt artifacts at the site of an Indian village here in Upstate NY.The land was owned by a close family friend "Charlie" Back in the 70's one of the collages did a dig there,but I'm not sure exactly what they found.I know that Charlie found a large collection of artifacts and even found a human skull that i believe was given to his neighbor who was a school teacher.Now I have heard that a local auction house has offered to lease the rights to dig the entire area to, in my opinion, rape it of artifacts strictly for proffit.I hope that this doesent happen and have been thinking of how i could help to maybe prevent this from happening.Any ideas ?

Upvote 0

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
kieser, There are old Indian villages all over the country. They can't all be saved! someone may think next we ought to save all our ghost towns! And of course everyone is entitled to there views. However if you fill so strong about this village site you might buy the land yourself and sit on it, that way it would be safe at least as long as you live. there's nothing there but ground. Map it out, record it where you think best and let it go. But that way you would be pointing it out to everyone. As it is now I would think the owner of the land has the right to anything turned up on his land. Have a good day.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Monk,I realize that not all can be saved,but how many have been saved ? Would it be ok to say sell the rights to one person to dig up the Gettysburg battlefield ?Or maybe we could let them dig up Arlington cemetery.The landowner should be allowed to do what he pleases with his property.I just think that it is sad,maybe if they were to have professionals do the dig properly and record it all,but we are talking some idiot going in with heavy equipment for the sole purpose of profit.

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Unless you can prove that this was a indian burial ground, stopping a dig might be near impossible. But if people get in there with heavey equipment and start digging bones then Im sure you might have a shot at shutting them down.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
undertaker said:
Unless you can prove that this was a indian burial ground, stopping a dig might be near impossible. But if people get in there with heavey equipment and start digging bones then Im sure you might have a shot at shutting them down.
I dint think it was a burial ground,but it was a village and dates to the woodland era so dint relay know what they expect to find that is so valuable.A friend knows the owners and has talked to them about it and he says they probably wont go for the deal.I sent out a few emails but haven't had any responce yet.If all else fails maybe they will be haunted by some bad mojo ! ;)

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
if human bones you can stop the dig.for digging up artifacts i 'm for that but not bones.i dig some and enjoy my artifacts finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread