IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have a number of 4,000 + year old points that have been rolling around in the surf on the beach for ...well....4,000 + years. They are smoother to be sure, the "sharpness" to the edges are gone, but they are still unmistakable as points. As for other tools, I have a lot of those too, but a million year old river polish is different than a surf or river polish. And they "feel" different too. Kinda hard to explain in words but a natural polish is like "velvet" and all over uniformly so...it has a kind of "skin" to it. Remember too that most artifacts have an obvious function and show use wear. And many, by no mean all, but many were obviously made to be hafted and show this in design. You have a good collection of true artifacts an seem it have a keen eye. You are hunting in the right place to be sure.

OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you... Everybody says rivers are tough to hunt but I like it. The good thing is that I understand imagination is a powerful thing!! I have many rocks that really.... In an eerie way... look like animals etc especially at night with some shadow. Might just be rocks but I like them anyway lol.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock looks to me by the shape to be like a crystal would be. I know it isn't of course but it looks natural shaped. I have found quartzite points and scrapers that have been water worn and you know its a artifact by the shape and cortex removed but to prove it is a total different thing. This one speaks for itself I found last year. If it had been in the creek for another few 100 years it probably would of been really hard to see. This is a sandstone/ quartzite point. Its a Savannah River. Im sure a few thousand years ago the flaking was much more attractive. Flint will last much longer in the water due to it being a stronger lithic.

Attachments

• SDC11538.JPG
    SDC11538.JPG
    947.4 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC11540.JPG
    SDC11540.JPG
    872.5 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I have a few written ones that I was unsure of. I also have a bunch that look like points but with flat/squared edges all the way around... Instead of a sharpened blade. Blanks???? Preforms???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread