Thoughts on this arrowhead?

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I'm doing this right, I normally post in the garage sale forum but this seemed more y'alls area of expertise. I purchased this today in a lot of jewelry, it measures 1" long by 15/16" wide. Any information on composition/style would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: It's not marked but is set in sterling silver.

ForumRunner_20150226_170625.png

ForumRunner_20150226_170635.png

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks basal notched, if authentic it would probably be early archaic period,8,ooo-5,ooo b.p. but I think basal notching reappeared in the woodland period.3,ooo-1,3oo b.p.I am not sure of what type it would be.If it is genuine,that is one pretty little point

Last edited:

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Most likely a repro. where was it purchased, area of country will help with typing if possible.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info DigIron2, I'll be spending some time this evening diving in to a whole new (to me) rabbit hole of info it looks like!

I found this in a bag of jewelry purchased from a local antique store in south TX but that probably doesn't mean much. I figured it was a repro, was planning on letting the boyfriend keep it so I'm just seeking information for curiosity's sake. Are there any definite signs one can look for that point to something being a reproduction?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your welcome.I am not schooled in determining real from fake when it comes to native artifacts,some of these guys should be able to help you out with that question.I just go by the old saying if it looks to good to be true it probably is:)but you never know until you know.I think allot of people go by a pieces patina

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could very well be real and someone had it set in sliver for a pendant. I wrapped a 69ct emerald in gold for a pendeant it was ridiculous and would knock out a tooth. Looks like a texas style but do not know the types there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could very well be real and someone had it set in sliver for a pendant. I wrapped a 69ct emerald in gold for a pendeant it was ridiculous and would knock out a tooth. Looks like a texas style but do not know the types there.
I have one I found and had a gold wire loop put on it so I could wear it....

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Sabinal point, 1100 to 1250AD.. The material looks like pink novaculite.This is a Texas type point named after the Sabinal River. That piece you have there is either dirty or is showing signs of hinge debris. This could be a good point, I wouldn't rule it out just yet.........Hope this helps.......https://books.google.com/books?id=z...gK#v=onepage&q=sabinal arrowhead type&f=false
Bird Points - Arrowheads Of Texas Scroll down and look at the examples...................GTP(Chris)

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There are points found on the Columbia River, along the Umpqua and Rouge River, the great basin in Washington, Oregon, Nevada and N. California that look just like that one. How can you pin it down as to being a Texas point.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like all the flake scars have been whizzed off. Either way, needs to come out...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that's no rogue river point, you're just gonna have to trust me on that.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
that's no rogue river point, you're just gonna have to trust me on that.

OK, I trust you, what I'd like to know is how do you know it's not a Rogue point, and how do you know it's from Texas. It's from a garage sale, nobody knows for sure where it's from, and to my untrained eye it looks just like points that are made in the Pacific NW. Just curious, not trying to be argumentative or a smart a., I really would like to know.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well, i have no idea about Texas but Columbia River points are my thing. The base is wrong, too wide, to flat, rogue points like to (not always of course) sort of come to a point on the base...they also don't come straight down the sides like that from the tip, they can either curve in or flare out but not straight down. One end on the base is very often longer than the other end...this one is a classic

DSCF3217-crop-rotate-90.jpg

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is JMO, it looks like a Rockwall style, which is a Texas point and it does look almost like pink Novaculite as was stated. I see nothing that yells at me that it is fake. The flaking and notches looks good and it looks to have a nice lite patina to it . It's a real nice find anyway you look at it and a keeper to me. Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
well, i have no idea about Texas but Columbia River points are my thing. The base is wrong, too wide, to flat, rogue points like to (not always of course) sort of come to a point on the base...they also don't come straight down the sides like that from the tip, they can either curve in or flare out but not straight down. One end on the base is very often longer than the other end...this one is a classic

Thanks for the information, I truely appreciate it. I don't want to hijack this thread, so will not ask anymore questions. The point purchased by Kali is an absolutely beautiful arrowhead. I also would have gobbled it up had I seen it at a garage sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread