Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Quite some time ago I was in a farm field in Lobeco SC and eyeballed these small points in amongst Oyster shell, pottery shards, and agate/chert chips. I had the feeling that I was in a small village area since the chips were from point making. The area is less than a mile from a large saltwater creek. For points this small, what sort of use would they be? Fish or birds?

The smooth lower left item may not be a point, but the triangular shape caught my attention and stones are not naturally occurring in this sandy coastal area.

Opinions?

smallP..jpg

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug- good eye and assumptions about the site ;) Often triangles were knives (btw, the triangle furthest to the left is not worked, and not an point. All edges appear to be smoooooth). You wouln't believe how small true arrow points can be- fitting on the surface of a dime in many cases. When you think of bird points, think of what a modern arrow point looks like- and how small it would have to be to fly right. Now, I'm not expert on fish points, but it (they) could be. I know someone will jump in and explain. I found a ton of triangles on the Eastern Shore, MD, and almost every time, found that they were a little lop-sided...used on one side, re-sharpened- a patterns I would associate w/ a knife.

0304140944.jpg

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Arrowheads were used on everything from birds to enemies to buffalo, and yours are not small at all for an arrowhead.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
one of our members...(can't remember which'n)...is a bow hunter who makes his own points and experimented with smaller ones. His opinion was that smaller points work just fine on deer too.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
one of our members...(can't remember which'n)...is a bow hunter who makes his own points and experimented with smaller ones. His opinion was that smaller points work just fine on deer too.

That has to be pretty meticulous work demanding serious patience to do points that small. I wonder what length of time it takes to turn out a small point and how it is pulled from rough. Very fascinating!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That has to be pretty meticulous work demanding serious patience to do points that small. I wonder what length of time it takes to turn out a small point and how it is pulled from rough. Very fascinating!

They simply start with a smaller flake. They were probably pretty quick at making them too.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Points to have worked on an arrow would have to be small and thin. The one's I have made and hunted with are 3 times the size and a lot thinner than what you would find being used by NA in a bow. The point has to be large enough to open a hole in the prey that will let the shaft enter also, if not it would stop without much penetration. NA used small cane and reeds to make arrows so some of their bird points as we call them could be very small, and that would make the flight of the arrow farther. I think like it has been said they used small points on all game, because the end game is to wound your prey bad enough to cause it to stop are slow down. Great finds on the triangles and I would look at that spot again.:thumbsup:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice small collection of triangle points! You would be supprised how effective and deadly those smaller point are. And to an efficient knapper it would not be long to make one.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Points to have worked on an arrow would have to be small and thin. The one's I have made and hunted with are 3 times the size and a lot thinner than what you would find being used by NA in a bow. The point has to be large enough to open a hole in the prey that will let the shaft enter also, if not it would stop without much penetration. NA used small cane and reeds to make arrows so some of their bird points as we call them could be very small, and that would make the flight of the arrow farther. I think like it has been said they used small points on all game, because the end game is to wound your prey bad enough to cause it to stop are slow down. Great finds on the triangles and I would look at that spot again.:thumbsup:

The observation of the point being large enough to open a hole is similar to how privy probes are made. The point has to be larger to prevent the ground friction against the shaft otherwise pushing a headless probe 4-5 feet down in the ground would be a bi-atch. Clever those native Americans.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
this is called a "Klickitat dagger" wicked little point used out here in Columbia River country... they fished the river with big "forks" during salmon spawns and I always thought water fowl were hunted more with nets and such. So I assume this point was just a game point.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
oops....THIS is a klickitat dagger.....

klickitat_dagger_point_arrowhead_columbia_river_oregon_washington_4_lgw.jpg

knighthunter

Dec 21, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba (Unicity)
Back when I used to look and find points, I have a few tiny points, I was reading everything I could on arrowheads. I read somewhere that the bird points were used for killing buffalo as they would penetrate between the ribs into heart and lungs. If that were true why not call them buffalo points?

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably because the Indians didn't name them, we did. It does make sense that a small sharp point would penetrate better than a large wide point. Tony
Back when I used to look and find points, I have a few tiny points, I was reading everything I could on arrowheads. I read somewhere that the bird points were used for killing buffalo as they would penetrate between the ribs into heart and lungs. If that were true why not call them buffalo points?

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You all have opened up a whole new world of points that I did not even know about. Those tiny points are insane! Beautiful too!

As small as they are, finding them must be nothing less than a miracle.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably because the Indians didn't name them, we did. It does make sense that a small sharp point would penetrate better than a large wide point. Tony

I see some of these larger wide points and wonder what kind of force was needed for them to penetrate the hide of their prey?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I think most of those big ones were atlatl points, spear thrower points. The bow was a fairly "recent" (in terms of American archeology), weapon addition.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
a lot of them are just simply knives, commonly mistaken for an arrowhead or dart point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread