Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this point a half mile in another farm field from where I found my small points. Farm equipment is not kind to points, and this one did not escape damage either. I assume the dull surface chips are from farm equipment dings as well as the break at the base. This has to be from Savannah River Agate/Chert (which comes in many colors) that was brought in. Considering the color, this could have been a glorious point if found whole and undamaged.

HBF..jpg

HBB..jpg

This point is slightly translucent so I took a shot of it over a light:

TRF..jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch! What a shame :( That is pretty material- and yeah, it would have been awesome if whole. Farm equipment... phoo. But, you know, some people are really good at flake-pattern analysis and could tell you a thing or two about the general time/age of manufacture...maybe. Maybe not. I know I don't have those skills yet.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a shame! Always leaves you wondering, what was it? Love the color! It is a necessary evil, we need the farmers to plow but this is the consequence. I have lost 8-10 of my most productive sites to no-till over the last 10 years or so. There was one site in particular located next to a feeder stream that emptied into a larger creek, me and my buddy found a bucket full of points over the years, mostly broken, occasionally a "good" one escaped the plow. Then one day I found a leaf shaped blade 4 inches long, and you wonder how did this survive when we have so many others (smaller) that didn't. It's just the way the "breaks" go sometimes. Waiting for the snow to melt, anxious to get out and walk the fields!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread