Mar 1, 2015
Southeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
Xtera
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arrowhead1.jpeg

(This picture is my FIRST FIND!!!!!!)

I wanted to share my experience with looking for arrowheads and points. I also need some advice since I am very new to this addictive hobby. The property I looked on is near the Ohoopee River in Southeast Georgia. My research indicates the Muscogee Creek Indians were once on that land. I hear so many people speak of the artifact hunting and how much fun it can be. I started actually looking where I walk and with my first two trips officially hunting I started to find flint. I have been told where there is flint you will find arrowheads. This is private property where I can look when I like. After 2 trips we had a good rain. I went one afternoon and the most amazing feeling there it was right on top of the dirt. (attachment) This sand hill seems to be slopping and it comes up to a large peak where I have been finding flint on the ground. When I say peak the land crowns off to a spot half the size of a football field. The land is real sandy with scrubby oak trees and moss. There are lots of open patches where leaves are not gathered. I walk and look and find some flint. I took my leaf blower and cleared out some more spots. I am starting to not find anymore clues such as flint. The only thing that I can add about clues are from reading online. Outside of flint I have found some places where there seem to be some small wood chips in the dirt that were burned. I have what looks like a once large tree where the stump appears to be fat lighter. There is no telling how long it has been there. It is near where I have found some flint and burned wood chips. I am not sure about the laws on digging private land or where I should look next. I am not sure if Creek Indians used any type of mounds but the few I see in the area seem to be where an old larger tree may have once been standing creating more dirt in a mound form. So I need advice on where else to look. Some of the flint found has been in the private road on the property. It can be scraped with a blade on a tractor. Everything has been so spread out on this hill to know where to go next. I have several places that appear to have little burnt wood chips. Then I have the spot I found the arrowhead and several places I have found some flint pieces. The old tree stump and the burnt wood chips near it. What should I do now besides look after each rain? Thanks for any advice. Did Creek Indians bury the arrowheads? How deep would they be? Where would you look next?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good little point.
Look after every rain. Understand that time will eventually bury artifacts. Leaves, broken tree branches and anything that rots and becomes soil. Rain, erosion, plowing, earthquakes. Anything. Over time, artifacts are buried. Plows and such can churn them up- but not without consequence. Creeks and rivers and wash them out- but again, not without consequence. If there's water nearby, definitely check it out. things wash out all the time, and wherever there was a settlement, there had to be fresh water. You're on the right track. The burnt bits might be archaeological- but if they're still light and charcoal-like, it was probably from a farmer clearing a field-- or lightning. Old charcoal is usually deep and harder than what you'd find from a recent campsite. Often debitage is scattered over a distance-- because...plow...
Welcome! Thanks for showing and asking- and Good Luck!!

OP
OP
WhiskeyCreek

WhiskeyCreek

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2015
Southeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
Xtera
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for being my first reply on the forum. I really want to learn all the right things about hunting.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in creeks, drains of any size, look anywhere that the dirt as been moved either by man or nature. You are in a good spot that is for sure, so keep your eyes on the ground and don't give up if you have a dry spell. Thanks posting and Welcome to T-net:hello:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WhiskeyCreek is a great name
looking down is a life style, get used to it

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... My research indicates the Muscogee Creek Indians were once on that land...
...I am not sure if Creek Indians used any type of mounds ...

Etowah has three main platform mounds and three lesser mounds. The Temple Mound, Mound A, is 63 feet (19 m) high, taller than a six-story building, and covers 3 acres (12,000 m2) at its base.

They were ancestors of the historic Muskogean language-speaking Muscogee (Creek) people who later emerged in the area. Etowah is a Muskogee word derived from italwa meaning "town". The federally recognized Muscogee (Creek) Nation and Poarch Band of Creek Indians consider Etalwa to be their most important ancestral town. From 1000–1550 CE, Etowah was occupied by a series of cycling chiefdoms over the course of five and a half centuries.
250px-USA-Georgia-Etowah_Indian_Mounds-Mound_B.jpg

Etowa is in NW Georgia, but it is Mvskogee/Muskogee/Creek. The Cherokee did not reach this part of Gerogia until the late 1700s.

--Guy

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checkout Elora, nice find

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Whiskey- where are you at? - or close to? May be Able to hone in on your area if we know... And there are some on-line resources we can hook you up with as well! Good luck either way ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions