Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the left looks like a pipe from somewhere. The one on the right doesn't really look like something you would find in Alabama. Post close up and better pics of that one.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you the best on those. I really have a problem with how the material they are made of looks exactly the same. JMO.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're made of clay GaRebel1861 I suppose the material would look the same. The second piece is the one I'm interested in, and would like to see better pics. It appears to depict a volcano and possibly some type of writing below that. The face on the other side doesn't seem to look much like anything I've seen associated with north american prehistoric cultures, but could be. dcantwell02 were these found on a prehistoric site or the site of an historic southern home place?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN,

To me, they look like they were made the same day so to speak and nothing like I've seen coming from Alabama or anywhere else in our region.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a pottery form head and arm to me. Don't know if it is ancient though.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The one on the right looks like a little tourist trinket from Hawaii (volcano on the back.) The pipe was probably bought in the same store.

Your friend might be playing a joke on you.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it had a sorta Polynesian look. It would be helpful to know the history of the area it was found in, if other datable artifacts were found there and what the relationship was between these and those, in other words the archaeological context of the find. Could just be a joke somebody played too. I've seen something similar to the face piece someplace before but can't recall where just now.

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Appears Polynesian "style" possible doll face with arm or leg?

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again,,,
I will repeat my basic observations from the first time these were posted on here.

The first item is strange,,, don't you think?
Showing a VOLCANO on one side and what looks POLYNESIAN "face" on the other.

Seriously bewildered on that piece for sure.

Hit
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/452926-found.html#post4419438
=========================================
I would love to see the area that these were found.
They almost fall into the OOPART category,,,OOPART = Out Of Place ARTifacts

Seriously,, these are very odd, especially from a field in North Alabama,,, I could see it if you were near or on the coast,, But you are saying North,,

Hit

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not only is that kind of clay not found/used here in north alabama but the pipe is crafted incorrectly.the hafting area,the part where the stem would attach,appears designed for the stem to go OVER the pipe.100% of the pipes i've looked at have the stem going INSIDE the pipe.:icon_scratch:
perhaps these two items are proof that polynesians came through the Drake Passage ,up the mississippi river,onto the ohio river,and then traveled the tennessee until they stopped and left these things .traded maybe for some tennessee river pearls,found by the 1000's in some burials here.:dontknow:

Last edited:

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like parts to an old ceramic toy/doll.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Please, do not let this hit a nerve!! They do not look as if they have ever touched dirt. You said you found them, and I have no reason to doubt you. I have a bad habit of over cleaning artifacts. Most collectors that I know will not wash their finds. I, on the other hand, not only wash my finds, but I toothbrush em too!

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the following info. was interesting enough to enter it into the mix... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425522616.032118.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425522644.274113.jpg

OP
OP
D

dcantwell02

Mar 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were both in the dirt. I cleaned them a little bit,but there is still dirt in the cracks. I dont go out and look for things. I found a few arrow head in the field over the years of plowing, but knew what they were. When i dug these out I was puzzled. And was just seeing if someone else knew what they might be. They were in the ground for sure. Not trying to sell. I dont think. Just trying to find out what they are. Thanks for all the help.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dcantwell02 don't let what folks say hit a nerve, we believe you that they where in the dirt, but they just don't fit anything NA. They do look like something from the south sea's. You ask for an opinion and you will get one and most of these folks are seasoned artifact collectors. There is a story behind your find, but it's just not NA. Thanks for posting and welcome to Tnet:hello:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dcantwell02 I hope you didn't think I was trying to say you were playing a joke. It was more like some local wag decided to pull one over on the local arrowhead hunters. My best guess would be some relic from the historic era. That's why I was wondering if there was evidence of an old home site in the area. On the other hand, being from Oklahoma, when I was very young I got to hear Gloria Farley talk about the Heavener Runestone and found it plausible that Vikings could have visited SE Oklahoma. (Probably not.) So I've always been interested in the 'America B.C.' school of thought. Keep checking that site and post if you come up with anything interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread