Rogue Point

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Does this look like a Rouge River point ???

2R.jpg
3R.jpg
1R.jpg

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know, not knowing where you're at but down this way, it might be considered a Hernando. Wicked looking point.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Really neat looking point !
I can't help you on type name, but knowing what part of the country it was found in, may help others with thoughts on typing.
I am curious about the different color or patina that appears to be occurring on the tip of this point. Just wondering if the tip is a bit rounded or smoothed as if this point may have been used as a drill? HH

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunther is a good call there's a lot of variants the rogue river type has extra long barbs on the ones I've seen pictures of . Columbia Plateau is another type if found in the north west .

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It was found in the northwest, possibly from the Rogue River, Klamath River, or perhaps even the Pit River. I didn't find it, it's from my Uncles estate, so location of find is a huge area centered in N. Calif/SW Oregon.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a Gunther from N. California personal find .

Attachments

• Tilly's Hill  # 3   5-3-12 009.JPG
    Tilly's Hill # 3 5-3-12 009.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say you guys are right on calling it a Gunther. Do you know how the name Gunther came about for identifying an arrow head? Also what general area of N. Calif. are they found? Thanks for the help.

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
I like the edge work and the overall shape is pleasing to the eye. Whoever made it was pretty good at it for sure.

Thanks for posting,
Sidevalve45

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I'd say you guys are right on calling it a Gunther. Do you know how the name Gunther came about for identifying an arrow head? Also what general area of N. Calif. are they found? Thanks for the help.

It was named in the late 50's by Treganza after Gunther Island in Humbolt bay. What he named has become several different point types now, but yours looks like a classic Gunther. And trust Southfork he's found more of them than almost anyone alive.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The type site is Gunther Island / Indian Island Humboldt Bay N. California . Google Gunther Island there's a dark side to the purchase of Indian Island by Robert Gunther . There found from the central valley of California up into Oregon and Washington .

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I figured it would be in that huge area. My Aunt was from Eureka, so he would have spent time there off and on in the late 30's. He also worked for the power company in the 20's, as a surveyor siting dams in the high sierra. I'm going to post in another thread, some more points that are also from his estate, that are rather unique in my experience, at least I've never found one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread