Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out hiking around today and found this little thing next to a river. Can any of you tell me if it is actually a piece of worked flint, or am i just a little too optimistic? Its about 2" long and 1/4" thick. The top is rounded but the bottom is pretty much flat. If it is something, how old would it be? It was found in southwest Wisconsin in case that helps. I hope everyone is having a good spring!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!
yes it's worked.
Check that area out closer.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Congratulations! You will probably be hooked now.

On the 22nd, there is an artifact show not to far from you at Owattonna. You would see a lot of Wisco and Minnesota stuff there.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye :thumbsup: (good luck with your new addiction... ;))

OP
OP
antlerman23

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome!!! Thanks guys! Is it just a generic piece of worked flint, or is it actually some sort of tool? To my untrained eye it seems like a candidate for a scraper, being so thick and all. But like I said, I don't find much of this stuff, so I don't know what I'm looking at. :P

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a scraper type of tool. Is all sides finished? Might be a broken point missing the base.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you described the bottom being pretty much flat and it being thick with work on one side creating an edge I would call it a scraper.
There's probably more artifacts in that area good luck

OP
OP
antlerman23

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its is only finished along the one edge. Is there any good way to tell how old it is? If one of you found this, how old would you think it is? There were Native Americans in the area (SE Wisconsin) for at least 1000 years, probably longer. No matter what its the oldest human artifact ive ever found, and im definitely hooked!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were Native Americans in your area a whole lot longer than that. there's no good way to tell how old that particular piece is unless you find a projectile point closely associated with it ..that could give you a good idea. You can't really date a common scraper they were used by all time periods.
But on the brighter side it's the type of tool that would have been used most likely close to some type of camp or hunting site if not a village I'm pretty sure there's more artifacts in that area good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread