Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chambersburg Pa area OLD Indian grind-stone find

Hey guys,,,

I found this a long,,LONG time ago when I was living in the rural Chambersburg Pa. area.
More specifically,, the Green Village area. We were just tilling the garden and it kinda "rolled" out.

Would any of those here who know this stuff please give an educated guess on the "tribe" and a timeframe for this to have been made and used in?

Thanks again

Hit 0318152013.jpg 0318152013a.jpg 0318152013b.jpg 0318152013c.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this was used to grind corn or grains,,, at least this what I think,, I could be wrong.

Just looking for someone here who knows this stuff to point me to who may have made it and an approximate era of creation / use.

For sure thought someone would have replied by now.

Hit

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure if it's just the pictures or angles but it looks like a natural rock to me. To put an age on a tool is only possible when it is found with arrow/spearheads or pottery, something that changed over time that can be placed chronologically. tool functions and how they were made didn't change much. so if it is a grinder it could be anywhere from 200 years old to thousands of years old. As to the tribe , thats a trick question , we only know the names of the tribes that were here when the Europeans came, before that there were other tribes that came and went, we make up modern names for them but they are only found through differences in arrow/spearhead types, pottery , or art.

OP
OP
H

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha,,,,

It's definitely not natural,, I've been told that,, but I also got the exact reply,, if I remember right (been 25 years since I found this) concerning the "who and when".

The pic was taken with my cell,,no other real camera,,
Shoot,, my phone has better resolution than my Kodak digital camera,, HAHAHAHA

WVR, I thank you for taking the time to read and then reply.. Much appreciated

Hit

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you found any other artifacts in or nearby where you were tilling? You may be your own best resource due to living in the area and I say this because of my experience in finding pottery in a creek on my property. It made me want to know all about who had lived there and so I began a mission of sorts and it started in the local museum and asking questions. I don't know about your area but we have a dig going on in our county and they do archeology events off and on to the get the locals interested...I go to their archeology day and take my finds and they give me answers. I also googled a lot and found some more answers there and of course this forum by reading what other people post, specifically in my state, trying to find answers, although all the posts help a lot.

Your stone reminds me of something someone else posted pics of on here and was solved but I can't remember what it was. It wasn't native american but it was very old, not saying yours isn't native american, it just reminds me of a past post. I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

roscoelux

Mar 20, 2015
N . Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a pottery anvil to me, they were used in many areas. I have come across a couple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions