Interesting find-how was it made?

Sep 18, 2011
On this piece, it appears to have a bulb of percussion on the flat side so it is a flake. However on the other side, I am stumped on how the narrow groove was made. Perhaps natural but there are signs of a worked edge such as an expedient tool but your help would be appeciated. At first I thought it may be a preform point but I am skeptical.....
Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    891.5 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just one flake with some quick edge work what you're seeing on that side wasn't created intentionally its just left over from previous flakes removed from the same mother stone.
The idea that some people forget is there being one larger piece of material that many flakes were removed from it was those flakes that are turned into tools until usually the mother stone gets used up to the point where no more flakes can be removed and it's used as something to end its life basically.. Usually something like a core chopper

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On those triangle flakes with edge work. Sometimes they made hafted scrapers out of them. The narrow section would be put into a handle and the round end was the working side.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True could have been set in a little bone handle

ForumRunner_20150323_084518.png

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find them here even smaller made from flint flakes. Nothing thick enough to even put in a frame they just slide around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread