✅ SOLVED Possible Indian Bowl/Vessel? Carved?

B

BiggusDiggus

Found this object out detecting in the woods the areas history has had an indian presence-surface find by eye, something just looked off about it-upon further inspection looks to be carved or scratched out and possibly the underside rubbed smooth on a stone or sand?? not sure what material it islooks like bone to me? It doesn't weigh much - dimensions: 3 15/16" Long x 3 1/2" Width x 3/4" Height...carved recess is about 1/4" deep......not sure if it could be a possible atifact any help would be appreciated..HH, IMG_20150323_195407_858.jpg IMG_20150323_195339_619.jpg IMG_20150323_195427_651.jpg IMG_20150323_195443_271.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not sure what type of material it is. Looks almost like the slag glass I find here (some times whitish) what state are you in and was it in a creek?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that it is man made. Looks to me to be something that would have been found near or in a cave. Water dripping on it for a long period of time to make that? Just a thought. Good luck and safe hunting.

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Hello Rock, yes it was found in an old creek and it is whitish, green, dirty, semi greasy/waxy looking luster...seems to light, not dense enough to be glass?? Im in SW Connecticut where I found it...there are definitely scrape marks in the recessed part....??

Last edited by a moderator:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Rock, yes it was found in an old creek and it is whitish, green, dirty, semi greasy/waxy looking luster...seems to light, not dense enough to be glass?? Im in SW Connecticut where I found it...there are definitely scrape marks in the recessed part....??

Sounds like furnace glass to me. The greasy feel gives it away. I find it in all shapes and colors the white is the rarest of colors. There is a creek I walk that has that stuff everywhere so much as I nicknamed it Slag Creek. Hardly any artifacts in it but I can always hope one day something might show up. Don't feel bad about it I did it to in the past thought I found a point and posted it later I found out it was a shard of slag glass in point shape.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye to spot that. I can't think of any practical use for it though.

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Well Thanks for the help guys-Im thinkin I may bring to an indian museum around here and see what they think-I wanna check out the museum regardless and maybe they will have some insight as to if its an artifact or not---Either way it was a good day and weird find..My first thought was an ashtray..HH

Melbell212

Mar 24, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I think I may have an answer for you. I'm fairly positive you have found a reptile food/water dish. Maybe someone dumped a terrarium or had been feeding animals at this location? Definitely an odd find. I have worked with these type of dishes and recognized it right away. Google ExoTerra reptile dish and you will see a variety of dishes that are very similar in texture and colors, but are designed to look like the natural habitat. I hope this helps you out. Good luck out there 😊

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

HaHa!, Yes Mel I think you may be right...it does look extremely similar to the exoterra dish and if it is plastic that would explain the weight and possibly the scratches are from being worn down in the stream...oh well either way a good exercise in surface searching, located a museum, and research. Gonna keep searching the area will try to avoid Dino dishes unless Fred/Wilma tossed em...Thanks again for the help again!!HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread