FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi all,

I found this display out by the neighborhood dumpster, but I was wondering what you guys think- are these real points or something sold at a home decor store? Thanks!
image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They look to be attached to some nice foam stuff instead of some cheap moneysaving paper or cardboard...

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fact is, it can sometime be very difficult even for experts tell the dif. between authentic, repros., and fakes especially when made from certain materials. Complicating things more, some materials will show little or no patina sometimes due to various reasons even though authentic.
To me those look to be repros. , not because the lack of patina so much as fact that they all appear to have been knapped by the same artisan.
It's sometimes pretty speculative to tell without having them in hand.
Nice pieces regardless!
I'm sure more opinions will be forthcoming.
Provenance is a extremely important when it comes to very nice artifacts.
Perhaps you could ask around and locate the person who threw them out and get more info?
Good luck!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to tell just from the photo, I don't know what the stone type is but it looks to be heat treated or is some type of Agate. Either way that's a dang good find in my book:thumbsup: for dumpster diving:laughing7:. I've never known of a home décor store that sold frames like that , it's to high of a price item, even if repros. Also like Mark Todd said the knapping style looks real close to each other. Thanks for posting.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
They don't look authentic (ancient), they look like very high quality modern work (which can still be worth quite a bit.)

They could also be casts of modern pieces, you should pop open the frame like Quito mentioned and see if they are resin (plastic) or stone.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of picked them if I saw it. Nice even if not real.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a knapper, i see them as being repros too. 2 are like a scotsbluff type or maybe an eden type... And the other one looks like it is supposed to be a fluted type point like a clovis or another variety of fluted point. The center piece, if actually stone, looks to be made of alibates which is from the northwest area of texas and the neighboring state. Also with that piece, it doesnt appear to be ground or smooth base. And the flake scars arent exactly like ive seen on ancient examples of that type. With that, as others stated, they could still be collectable to certain people. I for one, collect pieces from some of the best knappers out there, but i like to have them signed too. I etch my pieces with a diamond tip pen, to help prevent people from trying to pass them off as ancient. Also, i want the credit for the pieces i have made!
Id like to know if they are casts or actual stone... Id hang that right up on my wall!!

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd like to take them out and look at them- it would be awesome if they were etched/signed, it is awesome to know that you do that with your work! How do you think they are attached to the foam backing? That way I can put them back securely to hang.

Thank you all for your replies, I learn more every day thanks to such helpful posts!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably glued in if the glass isn't holding them in place

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What kind of glue would you use? Hot glue, super glue, rubber cement, elmer's? Thanks.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elmers... Takes a while to dry but it's best for future ownership etc...

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one amazing 'dive' recovery! Either way, new or old (doubt old) you got some nice pieces ;)

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that middle one had some swirly action going on...

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those resin repros. are factsimialies of elite finds, one resembles an Eden blade found at the Spiro Mound in OK. .

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew enough to say, but real or not, you bet your @$$ they'd be coming home with me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread