DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been researching this blade I found the other day.This is the closets I have found to it so far.The one in the book is a Turkey Tail Harrison,it is very similar,the only thing that bothers me as TheViking mentioned in my last post,i am just a little to far east for the type as the map shows also.The one in the book was found in Tennesse which isn't too far away, but far enough to say it's not I suppose.I was wondering if you guys think it could be possible that they are not documented as being found this far east because maybe not to many have been discovered over this way?Beside the tip of mine being more blunt,the one in the book looks very much like it? 010.JPG 004.JPG 002.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

Upvote 0

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I think distribution ranges on different types are expanding as time goes on, and info is gathered. Clearly they are not caught up on all distribution ranges for some types. This seems to be true for at least two types found in my area, Adena and Hopewell. There are known Adena and Hopewell village sites not far from me yet neither type has a distribution range that includes this area, or even close. Further proof shows in some local collections as well. With all that said, your piece seems to be side-notched, I think the few Turkey tail variants are stemmed.. I could very well be wrong. The info below came from Access Genealogy.

Woodland Period

Shenandoah County

Archaeologists employed by the National Park Service surveyed northern Shenandoah County, VA between 1989 and 1991 in preparation for nominating the Toms Brook Battlefield (October 9, 1864) into the National Park System. Both Adena and Hopewell village sites were identified on the Thornton Farm, which contains an old colonial era stagecoach inn, now used as a residence. Toms Brook runs through the Thornton Farm. It is located between the Old Back Road and Old Middle Road. See Tom’s Brook at the National Park Service website.
Shenandoah County

In 1992 a large village or town site was discovered on one of the bends of the Shenandoah River between Toms Brook and Woodstock. Work was beginning on the restoration of an early 19th century farm, when the architect and contractors noticed flint and jasper artifacts in the soil. Closer examination of the site and aerial photographs by the architect revealed numerous earthworks and mounds, both on this bend and adjacent areas. There were also earthen ramps and leveled platforms. Earth berms and ancient stone walls defined the edge of most of the bend in the river.
The site was surveyed by a state archaeologist and determined to be a Woodland Period enclosed ceremonial and village site. It is very similar in size and appearance to the Old Stone Fort site in Manchester, TN. Potsherds collected by workers were examined. They represented a variety of Woodland Period pottery styles that included Hopewell and traditions more typical of eastern Tennessee. The village site has never been fully studied by archaeologists.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like a completely used up turkey tail to me

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
It does look like a completely used up turkey tail to me

I agree, thats what I said in his first post. I think the key is in the description given in the pic "horizontal or barbed shoulders" giving it a stemmed look. DigIron2 piece seems to have weak shoulders that run at an upward angle giving it a side-notched look.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the result of loss of width?
It looks pretty eroded by time also

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that quartzlike stuff just does not hold up well,hard to work too.looks like adena i have a perfect one that didnt tumble around in the water.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digiron, I've never seen any of this style in my area, but it looks like you figured it out correctly. Nice find!

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something for size comparison would be better for diagnostics.
This could be a type of notched/chipped adze. (Again.. "size")
Bone2stone

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for yalls help.Here are some measurements,and it is a little less then 1/4 inch thick in the thickest spot in the middle 001.JPG 002.JPG

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This shows a little larger range on this type, so it would not be hard for one to go a little farther than what a graph shows. Bone2stone brings up a good point ,it does look like a tool, but JMO it was a point first, and the end makes you think turkey tail. Turkeytail%20Hebron.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread